How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The School of Education (SOE) at the University of Michigan is one of the best in the world. We have over 100 dedicated staff members and approximately 80 faculty, in addition to more than 50 lecturers. Our mission is to conduct and disseminate the best scholarship on education practice, policy, and on the contexts of teaching and learning, even as we also educate the strongest practitioners of education. We are seeking an HR Officer to work in collaboration with the Chief of Staff, the Dean, and senior staff to provide consultation, oversight and support for academic HR services and staff HR services for the School of Education.
Academic HR Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Dean and Chief of Staff, administer HR policies and procedures within the School of Education. Provide guidance, consultation, and support for both academic and staff HR services for the school.
- Serve as the liaison with Academic HR, consulting with them on best practices and University guidelines in regards to faculty.
- Administer all, lecturer, post-doctoral research fellows, and graduate student appointments.
- Serve as the unit liaison for the School of Education on the LEO (Lecturer’s Employee Organization) and GEO (Graduate Employees Organization) labor contracts. Understand and interpret the LEO and GEO agreements, implement the contracts throughout the School to comply with the rules and regulations of the agreements. Work with the Program Chairs on annual reviews. Assist with preparing all letters to the LEO union, the LEO lecturers and GEO graduate students; help prepare layoff, appointment, promotion and termination letters for lecturers. Work closely with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs to ensure the School is complying with contract rules/regulations, advise on the best hiring practices for lecturers and graduate students, and advise on any disciplinary actions in regards to lecturers and graduate students in regards to teaching. Act as a mediator in conflict meetings.
Staff HR Responsibilities
- Provide advice and guidance on staff HR policies and procedures. Serve as the SOE liaison to Staff HR consulting with them on best practices and University guidelines in regards to staff policies and procedures.
- Manage the process for all staff leave of absences, terminations, and appointment changes.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Staff, create position descriptions for new and current job postings, salary range and qualifications to get the best fit classification and pool of candidates for the position.
- Manage the interviewing process by identifying top candidates, serving on the hiring team, and ensuring the hiring process is meeting SOE and University standards.
- Advise supervisors on hiring practices, staff performance expectations, annual performance evaluations, University and School policies and procedures. Coach supervisors in employee relations issues and consult Staff HR when needed.
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff and other SOE staff leadership on staff development, rewards and recognition. Serve as lead for the annual SOE employee recognition luncheon.
General HR Responsibilities
- Manage the onboarding and offboarding for all SOE faculty and staff.
- In collaboration with the HR Assistant Senior, oversee all HR paperwork transactions. Assist with HR transactions during peak processing times and in absence of the HR Assistant Senior.
- Run Business Objects queries pulling current salary information to prepare internal SOE merit spreadsheet and annual equity review. Review and analyze data to provide feedback on current staffing structure in comparison with market title and others in similar roles across small school core group. Provide supportive documentation to help the Dean and Chief of Staff to make decisions regarding salary in compliance with the School's compensation philosophy.
- Approve all new temporary appointments, changes, DBE changes, and terminations. Serve as the School's I-9 compliance officer and ensure that all hiring and payroll practices are in line with University and federal regulations.
- Support the SOE’s Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Commitment process, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff.
- In partnership with SOE leadership, advance the school’s mission related to diversity, inclusion, justice and equity (DIJE)
- Work with University offices: Affirmative Action, Academic Human Resources and Staff Human Resources. Attend HRCG university meetings and provide information back to the school as needed.
- Supervision of one Human Resources Assistant Senior.
- Bachelor degree and 5-7 years of as an HR professional, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of UM policies and procedures related to human resource management in both academic and staff HR.
- Previous experience with faculty appointments, policies, and research funding.
- Knowledge and understanding of LEO and GEO labor contracts, graduate student appointments, and faculty research appointments.
- Experience with Wolverine Access, Business Objects, M-Reports; and conceptual understanding of how to leverage technology to provide analysis.
- Excellent planning skills including the ability to take initiative, work independently, manage multiple priorities, follow through, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Commitment to diversity and staff development.
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment in matters of sensitive or confidential nature.
- Master degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, or Organizational Development.
- HRCI and/or SHRM certification
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.