We, the staff and faculty of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center (FCVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each FCVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The FCVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care.
Excellent service is an expected and integral part of the FCVC culture. To be considered for this position, a cover letter is required and should be attached as the first page with your resume. The cover letter should address each of the following points in about 50 words or less:
- Describe your background and qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position at the FCVC.
- Outline your service excellence skills and experiences which would be applicable to this position.
- In your most recent position, how was service excellence emphasized?
- Describe a situation in which a customer or colleague was upset and the steps you took to resolve the issue to a reasonable conclusion.
Primarily responsible for retrieving, organizing, and maintaining patients health information. Must communicate effectively with physicians, clinical staff, and outside institutions to obtain proper documentation as needed. Facilitates communications between patients, public, referring physicians and other health care providers seeking access to UMHS clinical and/or administrative personnel or services. Responsible for accurate and efficient imaging/loading of all medical records, testing, and other documents received, including uploading documents to Radiology. Prepare, verify, and maintain records and requisitions to be scanned into MiChart. Request outside records, process records in time for future appointments, and ensure medical records are scanned properly and promptly upon receipt.
While obtaining medical records is the primary assignment, the applicant needs to be flexible so as to respond to the staffing needs of the clinic. Candidate should expect cross training on all office duties, including but not limited to delivery of packages, sorting mail, facsimiles, etc. Candidate will also provide responsible and courteous clerical support to clinic. All other duties as assigned.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide information, services, and support to referring physicians, consumers, UMHS staff and faculty, and other healthcare professionals via multimedia communication channels.
- Review physician schedules and appointments for requesting records.
- Contact outside organizations to request records for new patients seen in the FCVC Clinic.
- Organize, file, load, and/or image all patient data upon receipt of information.
- Respond to requests for medical records from internal faculty, clinical teams, and external referring physicians.
- Retrieve patient schedules from the system; distribute reports/tests, and medical records to physicians, mid-level providers, and nurses, and materials to other areas.
- Retrieve, review, and audit medical record intake for accuracy and completeness.
- Document all requests and inquiries according to department standards.
- Communicate/collaborate with internal and external customers to ensure an integrated approach to service.
- Utilize superior telephone technique, customer service etiquette, service recovery, and e-mail/web communication skills to meet the individual needs of UMHS customers.
General supervision will be received from Frankel Cardiovascular Call Center Manager.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to manage stress effectively.
- Proficiency with email, internet, and Microsoft Office products.
- Basic medical terminology competency.
- Demonstrated friendly, warm, and articulate telephone manner with a clear, well-modulated speaking voice.
- Strong interpersonal and (written and verbal) communication skills.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment, while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills.
- 2-3 years' experience.
- Ability to work well within a team setting.
- Demonstrated active listening and information technology skills.
- Demonstrated call quality and customer service delivery excellence.
- Demonstrated competency to cross cover in two service areas.
- Proficiency with MiChart, LifeImage, Prosolve, Syngo Dynamics, and Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
- Knowledge of shipping and mailing methods, speeds, and web applications.
- Previous experience working with clinical staff (nurses, mid-level providers, and physicians).
- Working knowledge of cardiology/vascular/surgical terms, testing and procedures.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Previous experience requesting and uploading/imaging medical records.
- Previous experience in an ambulatory care setting.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Experience working with Michigan Medicine's electronic medical record systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.