How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
LSA Outreach Staffing Services (OSS) is a team of regular staff members who offer a full-range of skills and services to units including student services, department administrative support and executive assistance. Individuals will serve in interim positions throughout the College of LSA where there are requests due to absences, open positions or special assignments.
OSS is currently seeking a qualified Executive Assistant who will provide support to executives and managers within LSA. Assignments may be for a few days up to 12 weeks depending on the need of the department.
The target salary range is $46,000-58,000 (Full-time Rate). The actual salary offered may be higher depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This position has the flexibility of offering the selected candidate the ability to have reduced schedule of no less than 80% during some periods of time including the summer months. This is dependent on the needs of the department to which the Executive Assistant is assigned.
This position will provide executive support assistance to academic leaders (chairs, directors, associate deans) and/or chief administrators. Duties will include but not limited to:
- Initiate original correspondence requiring interpretation of policies; handle inquiries from faculty, students and staff, coordinate meetings with university, college, departmental staff and faculty.
- Edit and prepare confidential and sensitive reports, manuscripts, and correspondence for the department leadership.
- Schedule meetings, maintain calendars (Google) and confirm appointments.
- May prepare agendas and distribute meeting minutes (department executive and faculty meetings), follow-up on discussions and/or directives in those minutes to see that appropriate action is initiated.
Provide administrative support for academic human resource activities including:
- Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of all LSA procedures for faculty review and promotion. Manage and coordinate faculty promotion and tenure materials and processes.
- Proactively assist units in developing and organizing materials that conform with unit, college and university expectations related to faculty recruitment, promotion, and leave processes in a timely fashion.
- Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of all LSA procedures for faculty hiring and recruitment. Provide administrative support and coordinate faculty search process. Schedule, plan and coordinate visits for faculty job candidates. Maintain applicant files. Prepare hiring files for College approval. Work with Chief Administrator and Chair/Director to prepare offer letters for faculty appointments. May initiate HR status changes for faculty, research fellows, research scientists, and lecturers according to LSA and university guidelines.
- Coordinate lecturer major and continual review process.
And, assist in general administrative support to include:
- May compile and analyze information for inclusion in reports or presentation materials, including preparation of simple charts, graphs or tables as necessary.
- Create travel itineraries and coordinate all travel-related arrangements.
- Assist with website updates and maintenance.
- Plan department events including catering, venue selection, and, logistics.
- Perform additional duties required dependent upon the assigned position.
High school diploma or equivalent; five or more years of directly relevant experience; excellent oral and written communication skills; high level of attention to detail; demonstrated strong customer service orientation; time management skills; and intermediate proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software (Microsoft Suite preferred). Ability to finalize correspondence, business letters, summaries, and reports; and proofread final products for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and typographical errors.
Bachelor’s degree with experience at UM handling tenure and promotion cases as well as faculty recruitment. Working knowledge of LSA tenure and promotion policies and procedures and experience working with LSA’s Management Reporting System particularly desirable. Experience with Mpathways and using the Google suite of software is desired. Reasonable knowledge of University and LSA policies and procedures.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity--equity-and-inclusion.html
To learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.