How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
1. Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
2. Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position
3. Include your current or ending salary
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Management Information Systems Business Intelligence (MIS-BI) group takes pride in presenting accurate, actionable, and timely information to our users. We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented Business Intelligence Analyst to join our team.
While our primary focus is providing key metrics and decision support to the Dean’s office, this team also supports operational reporting and ad hoc data requests for 75 academic departments. As a team member you will work with users at every level of the college to gather requirements, query and analyze data, and present information using a multitude of tools and techniques.
- Respond to ad hoc requests for information in an accurate and timely fashion
- Utilize the UM Data Warehouse, along with local LSA data stores to provide actionable insights, metrics, reports, and visualizations
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers to better understand and define requirements
- Effectively communicate analysis findings to non-technical stakeholders and senior leadership
- Contribute to, and influence how we work by recommending and implementing ways to improve our reporting/analytics
- Model and implement local data marts that support business intelligence solutions
- Design and maintain ETL processes that aggregates disparate data sources
Bachelor's degree in computer science, business computing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
1-5 years in an analyst role
Ability to understand business strategy, provide consultative business analysis, and leverage technical skills to create insightful and effective BI Solutions
Intermediate to advanced SQL query skills
Experience working with relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server
Demonstrated ability to produce visualizations that add business value
Familiarity with Business Intelligence reporting tools, such as Business Objects or SSRS
Experience manipulating and transforming data with Microsoft Excel
Proven track record of meeting or exceeding project expectations and deadlines
Experience working in a team environment
Ability to coordinate and work effectively with numerous departments and staff at various levels with a customer focus
Effective listening, written and oral communication skills
- UM Data Warehouse Student, Admissions, HR, Finance, and/or Research data experience
- Experience answering complex business questions with Tableau or other data visualization tools
- Experience utilizing the Tableau java script API to embed visualizations HTML
- Experience creating and maintaining Business Objects reports
- ETL experience using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity--equity-and-inclusion.html
To learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.