How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
Market title: Business Systems Analyst Intermediate 101973
Working title: Business Systems Analyst, Strategic Resource Management
Reports to: Sr. Director, Strategic Resource Management, Office of University Development
Term: 2 years
We are a small team dedicated to helping the Office of University Development (OUD) align “the right people, with the right work, at the right time” through solid project management and resource optimization practices. We are looking to hire someone who can take us through a process to buy and/or build an information platform that will strengthen data-driven decision making related to workforce capacity planning. This position will make connections with multiple key OUD staff to define requirements, work with the University procurement process to obtain the system, configure and build data pipelines between existing data sources and the new system, develop reports and dashboards, and be a key driver in the roll out to the OUD community.
This position is a 2-year term limited position, from date of hire. Before the end of the term limit, it could be considered for a term extension or for transition to an open-ended position.
- Work with end users to determine and document requirements for the workforce capacity planning system
- If necessary, work with University Procurement to launch an Request for Proposal (RFP) process to obtain the capacity planning system software
- Based on user requirements, configure the capacity planning system to meet requirements
- As needed, build ETL (extract, transform, load) processes to move data into the capacity planning system from other relevant systems in use; converting information to/from a wide variety of formats
- Design dashboards and reports based on user requirements. Work with various technical levels of reporting, including analysis of business and user needs, documenting requirements
- Develop, review, modify, test, document and implement queries, reports, and/or data visualizations in SQL Server, Footprints, JIRA, Business Objects, Teamwork, DART Query tool and Tableau to extract data and support reporting requests. Analyzes new tools to complete requests if necessary
- KPI and ROI analysis across OUD teams. Develop Key Performance Indicators and other business process measurements for use in Tableau reports and data analysis
- Synthesize data into easy to understand digestible information
- Work with Senior Director of Strategic Resource Management to provide analysis of metrics for senior management to inform and assist with operational decisions
- Monitor, manage and analyze project utilization, tracking resource availability as well as capacity planning across multiple projects, across multiple OUD teams
- Forecast project resources needs based on identified work
- Work collaboratively with cross department teams of various levels of seniority
- Coordinate development and implementation of an OUD service menu
- Assist in ongoing development of new processes and policies including materials and/or documentation that helps educate the Development Community on the standards and procedures of the Strategic Resource Management Team
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in business processing and systems support; to include business systems analysis, design, development, and testing. Understanding of usability design and usability testing, experience interviewing and documenting business process and user stories
- Facilitation skills for meeting management and requirements gathering
- Elicitation skills such as questioning techniques to gather information at the right level of detail and scope to represent all of the stakeholder’s needs, and the ability to ask questions that lead to a solid understanding of the business needs, rather than individual perceptions
- Writing requirements using different approaches such as use cases, activity diagrams, sequence diagrams and statecharts, data dictionaries, class or entity relationship diagrams
- Ability to conduct user training when required
- Demonstrated experience with SQL plus knowledge of other data preparation languages. Must be able to use these tools to merge datasets, locate and clean messy records, recode missing values, convert between data formats, and construct standardized datasets for use in the system
- Ability to create data visualizations that tell impactful stories is important. Experience with Tableau is preferred. Business Intelligence experience with regard to data analytics is a plus
- Demonstrated technical aptitude, technical curiosity, analytical and creative problem solving skills; the ability to solve business problems with technical solutions that save customers time and effort
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally with the types of skills gained with training in computer science or information science (or similar self-directed research and experience)
- Candidates should be capable of directing their own work and asking (and later answering) questions that lead to effective utilization of our data
- As a member of an evolving program working to shape an organizational mindset that honors data driven decision making, outstanding “people skills” are very important. To this end, persistence and the ability to build good working relationships is critical. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills is a must, with the ability to translate technical concepts into layperson terminology using clear, concise, and user-friendly language. Ability to tackle challenging questions head-on
- Demonstrated skills in facilitating team meetings and collaborating with customers on the resolution of business process issues that arise
- As a member of SRM, we are looking for people who can “walk the walk” by modeling effective time management, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Ability to forecast timelines and consistently meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment is key
- Desire to stay current on industry trends by monitoring various media, peer networking and professional development
- Proficiency with Google Apps and MS Office, including MS Project is expected
- Background in project, program, or resource management
- First-hand experience in a development/fundraising organization in a higher education environment of a similar size and complexity to the University of Michigan. Knowledge of or willingness to learn university policies, procedures and best practices
- CRM experience - including administration/customization (E.g., Salesforce, Footprints, ServiceNow)
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
About the Strategic Resource Management Team (SRM)
SRM serves a strategic role within OUD by executing key initiatives and programs in line with OUD organizational pillars and goals, coordinating multi-team resources across OUD’s fiscal-year-prioritized projects, and tracking and reporting multiple related KPI’s across all organizational levels. We are a fairly new team within the Talent Management group and we are in an exciting period of programmatic growth. We are particularly excited about the future of our program as strategic resource management is now part of OUD’s five strategic pillars, thanks to the investment in and work of our team.
SRM is part of an environment dedicated to advancing the mission of the Office of University Development (OUD). We draw great satisfaction from working for and contributing to the success of one of the greatest public universities in the world.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.