How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Michigan Value Collaborative (MVC), housed at the University of Michigan, is seeking a detail-oriented, self-starter to join their team. As the Data Analyst, you will explore opportunities designed to help hospitals across the state improve patient care and reduce costs. You will conduct analyses using administrative claims data from both private and federal payers in order to assess payment variation and identify areas of improvement for hospitals.
You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, including supporting the launch of the Obstetrics Initiative aimed at improving maternal health outcomes by reducing the utilization of cesarean delivery. Other projects will be focused on cutting-edge healthcare topics such as bundled payments, return on investment, and value index calculations. Strong analytic, organizational, verbal and written communication skills are critical to this role.
MVC is a multi-hospital consortium funded by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) that aims to improve the quality of hospital-based care through the analysis of robust claims data and best practice sharing. In this position, you will work with a highly integrative group of clinicians, policy experts, statisticians, economists, health services’ researchers and analysts. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain expertise in a broad range of reimbursement and payment reform programs as well as to advance your skills using claims data, including characterizing episodes of care.
As the Data Analyst, you will play a critical role in the following areas:
- Proper analytic design in order to accurately and fairly measure hospital performance
- Improvement of pricing and risk-adjustment algorithms
- Management of large datasets
- Preparation of reports and the presentation of results to participating hospitals, study sponsors, and collaborating programs
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to be a co-author on various academic publications directly related to the quality improvement work of MVC. Candidates for this position must be driven, with an intellectual curiosity and desire to continue learning, as well as the ability to juggle multiple projects at one time. This position allows for significant growth, and the opportunity to explore innovative healthcare solutions.
- Use statistical software to conduct analyses on large datasets
- Contribute to the strategic direction of MVC
- Assist in the implementation of the BCBSM MVC Pay-for-Performance metric
- Assist in the preparation of manuscripts utilizing MVC claims data
- Present analytic methods and new approaches to accomplishing goals at team meetings and in other venues
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of experience in a relevant field
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as cooperatively
- Demonstrated proficiency working with large datasets using statistical software programs (SAS preferred, but STATA, SPSS, and R are also acceptable)
- Master’s Degree in relevant field and 3 years of experience in a professional healthcare-related setting
- Previous experience working with administrative claims data
- Working familiarity with basic statistical models and significance testing, including linear and logistic regression, and hierarchical models
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.