How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Trotter Multicultural Center’s Mission Statement:
We believe that our students are the driving force of our work. As a result, we choose to enhance the quality of life and development of the entire campus community. Through our shared cultural exhibitions, we create an inclusive co-curricular space where we celebrate the diversities and similarities that connect us all.
Vision Statement (what the world will look like after you’ve finished changing it):
A campus community that recognizes, seeks the knowledge of, and leans into its capacity to celebrate and care for everyone.
To provide highly responsible secretarial and administrative support to management in a major operation function or activity of the university; coordinate office services; and to perform routine administrative activities with limited authority to make commitments on behalf of a unit or section. This position reports to the Program Manager and has some supervisory and budgetary responsibilities.
Logistics and Organization (40%)
- Coordinate the use of facilities, services and equipment that support the work of the Trotter Multicultural Center.
- Create and maintain administrative files and databases.
- Compile special and periodic reports including narratives, charts and graphs under direction of department management.
- Order, maintain, and monitor office supplies and equipment.
- Serve as a liaison to technical services.
- Coordinate reservation process using EMS system and follow-up regarding all reservations.
- Maintain space to create student friendly and accessible environment for student organizations, University Departments and neighboring communities.
- Reconcile Statements of Activity; P-Card Statements.
- Review and code timesheets.
- Maintain and reconcile detailed budget expenditures to inform management of irregularities.
- Process requests for transportation services.
- Assist in the preparation of budget proposals and year-end statements.
Human Resources (25%)
- Supervise 12 Student Building Managers and 4 Office Assistants/Front Desk Employees.
- Process temporary and regular payroll and personnel transactions.
- Interview, hire, train, assign duties and evaluate student and temporary employees (1.5 FTE equivalent).
- Conduct monthly meetings and workshops for Student Building Managers and Office Assistants/Front Desk Employees.
Customer Service (15%)
- Provide excellent, timely and sensitive customer service to the public.
- Screen and direct incoming telephone calls, mail and visitors.
- Respond to correspondence as a representative of the administrator, or direct matters to appropriate individuals for action or follow-up.
- Handle sensitive communications, information and data with sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Assist with reports and data management.
- Assist in the preparation of annual, periodic and ad hoc reports.
- Maintain promotional brochures and informational resources available for students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Maintain Trotter’s website, social media accounts, and event pages.
Policies and Procedures (5%)
- Assist in development, implementation and interpretation of routine unit policies and processes.
- Interpret and apply University, Student Life and the Trotter Multicultural Center policies and procedures.
- Represent the unit on routine administrative matters, including the attendance of periodic meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-2 years of secretarial or administrative experience
- Some supervisory experience
- Reasonable knowledge of unit policies, procedures and regulations.
- Reasonable knowledge of University policies, procedures and regulations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and creative problem-resolution skills.
Please Note: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and application of automated office text and data processing systems and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, ideologies; including personal and social orientations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.