Ypsilanti Health Center (YHC) Family Medicine and Pediatrics is seeking a qualified Medical Assistant Specialist Lead, responsible for the coordination of daily activities for Medical Assistants and Medical Assistant Specialists to ensure optimal clinical flow. Provides interpretation and instruction for policies, procedures and practices. Maintains work schedules, reviews timesheets for accuracy and assists with performance evaluations for Medical Assistants and Medical Assistant Specialists. Provides in-service training, acts as a preceptor and coaches performance of Medical Assistants and Medical Assistant Specialists.
Participates with the YHC Leadership Team to ensure effective clinical operations. Promotes and facilitates positive communication with the entire health care team. Performs and assists with clinical procedures and duties.
Acts as preceptor for orientation of new medical assistant staff and student externs. May also precept staff members requiring performance improvement. Assures training is up to date for all staff on equipment and procedures.
Provides assigned administrative duties that may include weekly/monthly staff schedules, process improvements, change implementation, and evaluation preparation. Coaches and supports staff to promote improvement. Staffing plans are maintained to meet the needs of providers and patients. May be involved in the ordering process and strives to meet budgetary expectations. Actively participates in regulatory compliance activities.
Ability to coordinate use of exam/procedure room space. Able to support multiple providers and/or specialties. Provides assistance with complex procedures and/or specimen collections. Takes initiative in identifying, acting, and following through on problems and tasks.
Serves as a positive role model and is an integral member of the clinical leadership team. Communication is effective and positive with the entire health care team. Demonstrates proactive problem solving skills and takes the initiative to identify, act and follow through on problems. Is able to consider the impacts of decisions / changes beyond the immediate work group. Work in conjunction with the YHC Family Medicine MA Lead to create a cohesive leadership team dynamic to streamline workplace processes, provide seamless MA clinic coverage, and order supplies, etc., as needed.
- Serves as a positive role model
- Attention to detail
- Takes initiative
- Facilitates cooperative relationships
- Communicates effectively: engages in positive communication with health center team
- Demonstrates proactive problem solving strategies
- Participates in identifying, acting, and following through completely on problems and tasks
- Coordinates or problem solves issues related to the retrieval of medical information
- Assists peers in prioritizing multiple demands and functions, including leading from the front, on the floor with staff
- Previous experience as an MA or a health related assistant
- Graduation from a certified medical assistant program, and 5+ year's of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to Lead in a fast-paced, busy environment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to take direction from multiple disciplines
- Candidate must have flexibility to work between dual areas
- Demonstrate professional communication with patients, families and members of the healthcare team is required
- High School diploma or GED.
- Experience as a team lead.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstarted active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
Note: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate, in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
- Medical Assistant Certification
- Student health service experience
- Previous experience with MiChart experience preferred
- Recent ambulatory care experience within the last 2 to 3 years
- Bilingual or multi-lingual skills a plus
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
Hours per week: 40
This is a working MA Lead, 40 hour/week position with rotating Saturday mornings and rotating evenings until 7:00 PM. Flexibility with work hours and work assignments is essential.
University of Michigan
Ypsilanti Health Center
200 Arnet Street, Suite 200
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
- Relates work and job purpose to UMHHC mission and commitment to putting patients and families first.
- Interacts effectively and builds respectful relationships within and between units and among individuals.
- Communicates effectively in ways that enhance productivity and build respectful relationships. Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills. Shares relevant information.
- Seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues.
- Adheres to high standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Responds positively to change, showing willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
- Fosters mutual respect and supports UMHS commitment to diversity. Promotes community building and diversity initiatives that help employees learn and respect each other’s differences.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, faculty, and staff by following established procedures and protocols as appropriate by job function.
- Adopts practices to improve work processes, enhance customer satisfaction and ensure excellence in daily work. Actively participate and assist with YHC clinic huddles.
- Accomplishes work in ways that maximize productivity and available resources while minimizing waste, participating in Lean training and implementing Lean concepts.
- Excellent attendance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.