How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Dermatology is seeking a full-time Financial Specialist Associate to join our team, providing financial operations support to both faculty and staff. This position will handle coordinating the payroll entry, approval and review process for both biweekly and monthly Dermatology faculty and staff. This position will also monitor, track and communicate compliance matters for both faculty and staff.
- Serve as Payroll expert for the department, advising on complicated time entry, holding knowledge of payroll related policies and procedures
- Run and review payroll queries to assure that all time is properly recorded, submitted and approved. Resolve issues in a timely manner so that payroll deadlines are met.
- Maintain payroll static groups and assign new employees to groups as needed
- Train new staff and payroll approvers
- Actively communicate upcoming payroll matters (e.g., early deadlines, coding time for season days).
- Communicate payroll policy changes to managers and staff
- Run and review GPR in a timely manner; resolve any issues found promptly
- Review and process additional compensation requests for faculty and house officers
- Review and update DBE changes as requested by finance staff, PIs or research administrators.
- Develop and implement a system to record and track payroll changes
- Provide excellent customer service to faculty, staff and outside departments
- Maintain faculty and staff compliance records; review/update user profile for new employees to assure the appropriate mandatories have been assigned.
- Serve as the department’s Conflict of Interest Liaison. Attend bimonthly meetings in the Dean’s Office. Disseminate pertinent information to the Chair, faculty, and administrative leadership. Track disclosures in M-Inform, report items of concern to the Chair/leadership. Advise Chair/leadership of COI rules in determining acceptability of outside interest disclosure.
- Routinely run reports in MLearning to assure certification is current; follow up with faculty/staff member on deficiencies.
- Monitor flu shot compliance and contact supervisor and staff member if not compliant. Act as the department contact for OHS.
- Monitor and update Basic Life Support Training Certification for clinical faculty and residents. Schedule on-site training.
- Communicate new compliance procedures and policies to management and assist with the development of tracking mechanism.
- Maintain department computer, printers and copiers inventory, and additional equipment as requested.
- Serve as back-up to purchasing clerk, including placing orders and resolving problems
- Maintain record of faculty memberships; anticipate renewals
- Maintain record of faculty conference attendance; anticipate future attendance
- Enter blue sheets into blue sheet worksheet and prepare reports as needed
- Assist with special projects and ad-hoc reporting.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field and 2+years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in the use of Windows based program.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness and sound organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely communicate financial information to all levels of faculty and staff who may have varying degrees of financial knowledge.
- Robust problem solving and analytical skills.
- The ability to work independently as well as in diverse teams.
- Outstanding customer service.
- The ability to handle confidential information.
- Familiarity with UM accounting systems, policies and procedures, and/or payroll highly preferred.
- Experience with queries and/or developing reports using Business Objects.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.