Provide exceptional customer service to patients, our UHS Laboratory Team, and all University Health Service (UHS) colleagues. Obtain blood specimens from patients. Prepare specimens for distribution to various reference labs. Perform front desk responsibilities.
- Obtain blood specimens ordered by a clinician from patients.
- Contribute to writing and updating procedures pertaining to phlebotomy.
- Perform EKGs according to established protocols.
- Prepare specimens for transport to reference labs.
- Track specimens out to the reference lab courier.
- Distribute specimens from the front desk and the Distribution area to the appropriate laboratory section, informing staff in the sections when there are specimens which need to be performed on an urgent, or STAT basis.
- Report reference lab critical values to clinicians.
- Act a liaison between UHS and outside reference laboratories to troubleshoot missing specimens and results, reporting critical values, calling for STAT results.
- Record and verify all pertinent patient information and test requested on specimens and requisition.
- Troubleshoot problems related to specimens, orders, test requests, and results returning from the reference laboratories.
- Troubleshoot problems related to in-house specimens, orders, and test requests.
- Participate in Training and orienting new staff in the operations of the Distribution and Front Desk areas.
- Verify identity of patients.
- Pull orders from the electronic medical record, give labels to colleague performing phlebotomy.
- Provide patients with instructions for specimen collection. Call results to clinicians.
- Call reference labs for results.
- Obtain information from reference labs regarding unusual tests not listed in the service manuals, for specimen type required, specimen handling, CPT codes and cost to UHS.
- Assist with quality assurance issues.
- Observe universal precautions in specimen handling and other laboratory safety protocols.
- Prepare hanging drop tubes for specimen collection for wet preps from clinicians by putting aliquots of saline in capped tubes suing a pipettor.
- Prepare kits for urine specimen collection.
- Affix labels onto specimen containers for urine or stool specimens.
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in phlebotomy.
- Computer experience utilizing an electronic medical record.
- Experience preparing specimens.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Certification or registration in an appropriate discipline.
- Bilingual or multilingual skills.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.