How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 148835 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 148836
A total of one (1) 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
The Michigan Medicine Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes is seeking a positive, service-orientated individual to join our team. Our team is the HIIP (Hospital Intensive Insulin Program) within the University Hospital. We care for patients with hyperglycemia on the cardiothoracic intensive care units and several other services and floors and manage their blood glucose until discharge and also in the Hyperglycemia continuity clinic.
Duties will include: screening ICU patients, interviewing patients to obtain and perform a detailed initial patient history and physical, follow and interpret lab data and recommend tests and therapy for the management of hyperglycemia and appropriately record the findings. Pertinent data needs to be presented to the medical staff. Collect and assist in the interpretation of reports from diagnostic and laboratory tests, radiographic procedures and clinical studies. Compile and record detailed narrative case evaluations and present pertinent data to the medical staff. Order tests and recommend to the physician the prescription of medications. Administer follow-up care to patients and assist in the referral to various internal and external facilities.
Additionally, we educate patients and healthcare professionals on several aspects of diabetes care including diet, lifestyle, oral medications, insulin and several diabetes technologies including meters, insulin delivery devices and pumps.
Involvement in outcomes research namely data collection and entry will also be required. Opportunity is available for analysis of outcomes so experience with statistics and data management are a plus.
If desired, the Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes will support acquiring a Certified Diabetes Educator Degree, a very sought after credential in today's health care environment.
Note: This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services (PA) Job Family under number 148836 for PA Candidate applicants.
This posting replaces Job ID 148299
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner preferred. Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and Family Nurse Practitioner with experience will be considered.
- Graduate of an accredited NP program
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Knowledge and hands on experience with managing patients on insulins, insulin pumps, sensors, and experience in training patients in diabetes medications and devices will be weighted the most in choosing the applicant.
- The applicant must have good interpersonal and communication skills and be a team player to fulfill a multidisciplinary role in the diabetes management effort.
- Have a certified diabetes educator degree or be close to process of getting one.
Hours: 40 hrs a week
Full time including holidays, weekends and other coverage
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.