How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The hiring process will measure the following competencies:
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Candidates who are selected to advance in the process will be contacted through email by Spark Hire (video interview vendor) and are required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions, at no cost to the applicant.
Review of applications will begin on October 20, 2017 and the position will remain open until a successful candidate is hired.
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, drug screening, psychological evaluation, and physical examination. This is a uniformed position required to maintain appearance and grooming standards by following the DPSS uniformed personnel dress code.
The Division of Public Safety and Security and the Communications department are currently looking to hire full time Communications Officers. We are a 24 hour, 7 days a week operation which includes weekends, holidays and mandatory overtime assignments. Candidates considered for the positions will need to be flexible in work schedules.
Communications Officers perform the following tasks:
- Receive, evaluate and prioritize calls for emergency and non-emergency assistance
- Dispatch police and public safety personnel to all University owned and leased facilities and properties
- Coordinate information between the public and emergency personnel via computer aided dispatch (CAD) system as well as radio, mobile data terminal, telephone, pager, and other communication devices
- Monitor several complex public safety radio frequencies
- Monitor building alarms and security systems including closed circuit security monitors and electronic alarms
- Maintain liaison with police, fire and other emergency agencies to assure the safety of students, staff and general public
- Engage in social media platforms to support safety related operations
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates degree in a related field
- Proven capability to react with compassion, quickly, efficiently and calmly
- Adopt an effective course of action in emergency and routine situations
- Position requires engagement with various media, equipment, and information technologies and the ability to accurately gather data from these sources and respond appropriately; for example operating a variety of equipment including multiple channel radio console , telephone, recording equipment and data communication terminals
- Effectively and professionally communicate with, and elicit useful information from, upset and irate citizens
- Ability to accurately communicate through various media, including telephone, email, and contemporaneous in-person interactions
- Ability to accurately create detailed and complete reports/documentation and use advanced keyboarding functions
- Understand and accurately follow instructions provided through various media, including telephone, email, and contemporaneous in-person interactions
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely through various media, including telephone, email, and contemporaneous in-person interactions
- A track record of establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and use good judgment
- Ability to deal with confidential information appropriately
- Associate or Bachelor degree in criminal justice or related field
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms
- Knowledge of police, fire and safety procedures
- Prior experience in a safety and security environment
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Police Officers Association of Michigan union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.