Assist in the delivery of direct patient care, supporting providers in a complex, multiple physicians’ practice in an adult Urology ambulatory care setting. Cooperatively manage patient flow; perform routine laboratory support services; perform and assist in urological procedures; maintain equipment; order and stock supplies; maintain orderly clinic environment; provide direct patient care as assigned by the Registered Nurse/and or Provider. Use electronic medical record (EMR), MiChart, to complete patient intake, enter point of care orders, enter point of care results, etc.
- Perform patient intake including taking patient vitals and recording the following in our electronic medical record: chief complaint, vitals, patient history: including medical, surgical, family, social (specifically including smoking history, packs per day, etc.) menses status (when applicable), medication reconciliation, allergies, and entry of point of care testing orders as assigned
- Enter point of care testing results into MiChart
- Set up and assist in urological procedures i.e. Cystoscopies, Prostate Biopsies, Penile dopplers, etc.
- Perform urological procedures i.e. Leak Point Pressure, Uroflow, Pressure Flows, Bladder Scanning, Urinalysis, Bladder Irrigation
- Maintain, order, and assemble equipment as necessary
- Order clinic equipment and supplies, including medications
- Maintain stock levels in treatment rooms and exam rooms
- Prepare and prep patients for procedures
- Escort patients
- Instruct patients on procedures per written guidelines
- Provide clinic assistance by taking vital signs, drawing blood, preparing specimens and assisting patients
- Perform high level disinfection of urologic equipment according to infection control standards
- Maintain Urology Lab
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED.
- Completion of a medical assistant program.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Previous experience as an MA or a health related assistant
- Certification from a medical assistant program
- Demonstrate ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must have strong organizational, time management, and attention to detail skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities in a very busy setting
- Demonstrate ability to take direction from multiple disciplines
- Demonstrate professional communication and ability to exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, families and members of the healthcare team is required
- Demonstrate problem solving ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate record of excellent attendance
Medical Assistant Associate Level:
- 2-3 year's of experience
Medical Assistant Level:
- 0-2 year's of experience
- Experience workiong within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Familiarity with Micnigan Medicine's electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Days
WestShore Urology - Muskegon Michigan
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.