How to Apply
The Michigan Alzheimer’s Disease Center (MADC) is seeking a Database Specialist to join its Data Management and Statistical Core team. The Data Core integrates research data and disseminates data to investigators. Location is at the Michigan Alzheimer’s Disease Center, 2101 Commonwealth Blvd, Suite D, Ann Arbor, MI. Hours are Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. This position is under the leadership of the MADC Data Core Leader and senior research administrative staff. The individual will work closely with the MADC Database Administrator. The characteristic duties and responsibilities of this position may evolve over time to match changing needs and priorities.
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Assist the Database Administrator in maintaining a relational database (database tables, structures, visit tracker and processes) to allow for efficient and effective analysis and reporting of data
- Assist in data collection, data verification, and data processing for research studies. Responsible for testing and implementation of electronic data checks, following standard practice guidelines. Generate queries in REDCap or other data platforms and verify reports
- Assist with uploading data to the National Alzheimer’s Coordinating Center and run/verify reports
- Work collaboratively to develop electronic entry screens, databases and supporting documentation; testing and implementation of electronic data capture to meet the needs of studies
- Devise evaluation procedures to ensure data quality and validate data collection and data distributed to researchers
- Assist with the preparation of programs requiring complex combination of data from multiple sources
- Write EXCEL/SAS/SPSS and/or R macros and documentation for data preparation, analysis file creation, and reporting. Write programming scripts to streamline data processing and analysis
- Prepare and maintain technical documentation of data and analysis files
- Summarize, interpret, and present results in written, tabular and visual formats in online tracking dashboard
- Assist in the writing of manuscripts and grant proposals
- Participate in meetings and conference calls with research faculty and staff to define research questions and deliverables, present results, and determine next steps
- Participate as a team member in discussions on analysis and improvement of data collection, quality of data analyses, programming and documentation
- Other duties as directed
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, computer science, information, or related field
- 2 or more years of experience using statistical analysis packages such as SAS/SPSS/EXCEL/R or Stata for database management and statistical analysis
- Experience with and knowledge of relational databases
- Proficiency with data editing/cleaning and quality control procedures
- Experience with electronic data platforms such as REDCap
- Computer proficiency (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and EndNote)
- Confident and highly motivated with excellent multi-tasking ability and record-keeping skills
- Outstanding organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Professional demeanor and excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with diverse teams of people in a diplomatic, collaborative and effective manner
- Ability to problem-solve and establish timelines and priorities
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends as necessary
- Master’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, computer science, information, or related field
- Experience programming scripts such as Python
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.