How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline your skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Law School, founded in 1859, is one of the world’s leading institutions of legal education and a long time pioneer in preparing its students for the global practice of law. It has stood at the forefront of global legal education through its faculty, one third of whom teach in international, comparative, and foreign law; a student body keenly interested in global legal practice; a 150-year history of engagement with foreign legal institutions and students; a path-breaking required course for all students in transnational law; an extremely selective graduate LLM and SJD program for foreign students; clinical opportunities to work on transnational problems; a large network of alumni around the world in leading legal, policy, business, and academic positions; long-term institutional ties with major foreign law schools, international organizations, and non-governmental organizations; numerous programs and fellowships for study and work abroad; and close integration with other schools and departments of the University of Michigan focusing on international studies.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced person to join Law School’s finance team. This position assists with various functions of financial analysis, reporting, monitoring, budgeting and internal control process.
- Prepare and review monthly and quarterly management financial reports to ensure financial statements are accurate and reflect all commitments appropriately.
- Assist with the annual internal budget allocation process, variance monitoring process, and year-end close process.
- Assist in the development of management reports and data visualization that provide insightful analysis to address financial projection and funding sources as assigned.
- Work with Finance Manager to develop standard reports, and improve reporting formats for a variety of audience levels. Maintain and run reports in Excel, Access, Business Objects, M-Reports, or other systems.
- Support academic budgetary items such as the faculty discretionary allocations, account monitoring, and endowed professorships. Prepare journal entries to transfer funds and correct any errors.
- Assist with the sponsored grant activities ensuring all Law School, University and sponsor policies and guidelines are followed. Provide assistance in completion of progress and final reports as applicable.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, informatics, data analytics or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible work experience with financial analysis and forecasting processes, in a customer-focused role.
- Sound judgment, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated high-level of competency with Microsoft Office applications, Excel and Access.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to build successful relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels.
- Ability to work independently as well as with diverse teams of people in a diplomatic, collaborative, and effective manner.
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, to work well under time constraints and meet deadlines.
- Experience working in a University or in a non-profit organization is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and experience in performing financial analyses. Ability to use and modify Business Objects queries, Excel worksheets and Access database.
- Familiarity with administrative processes, procedures, and systems at the University of Michigan.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.