How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
ABOUT THE STEPHEN M. ROSS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today's dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to develop leaders who make a positive difference in the world. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.
Ross is consistently ranked among the world's leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the BBA, MBA, Part-time MBA (Evening and Weekend formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Supply Chain Management, Master of Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open-enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management.
The Facilities Assistants are responsible for assisting with all facilities-related questions and inquiries and responding to security and emergency issues. The Facilities Assistants are also responsible for event support and coordination. The Facilities Assistants reports directly to the Facilities Supervisor.
Note: The schedule will consist of evening and weekend hours for 40 hours per week from November 2017 – April 2018. Hours are Sun/Tues 4:30PM – 1:30AM, Thurs/Fri/Sat 2:30PM – 11:30PM, Mon/Fri are off days.
Event Support and Coordination
- Inspect public restrooms, meeting rooms, offices, etc. during building hours to verify the rooms are clean and presentable for use.
- Assist with school recycling program.
- Support events, large proceedings, student activities throughout the business school complex.
- Police classrooms, conference rooms, study rooms, and open circulation spaces, verify rooms/spaces are in proper condition for the next activity.
- Provide assistance to event coordinators with final event modifications while ensuring coordinators are aware of and follow policies and guidelines for room usage.
- Make room and equipment reservations accurately and promptly.
- Provide coverage for call-ins, vacation times, breaks, lunches, etc., for other facilities assistants in the operations department.
- Ensure all assigned tasks are completed correctly and in a timely manner while ensuring Ross policies and procedures are followed.
- Ensure building doors are locked/unlocked according to schedule and contact DPS on all safety and security issues.
- Assist with maintaining the cleanliness of the interior and exterior of the business school complex and monitor the condition of the building and equipment, reporting damage or other concerns to the Facility Supervisor.
- Respond to all medical, fire, and tornado emergencies.
- Assist with office moves.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Contributes to a positive work community by approaching work with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind; treats others with respect, dignity, and in a manner where individuals feel they belong; listens, values feedback, and learns from the perspectives of others.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to communicate clearly and professionally with a diverse clientele base is critical.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality record is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks; meet multiple deadlines; and work collegially and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion with sensitive and confidential information is required.
- Must be able to work independently as a critical member of a team, while demonstrating cooperation and flexibility.
- Previous work experience in facilities/operations is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working evening and weekends in a customer service position is strongly preferred.
Skills testing may be required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- The person in this position routinely moves furniture and equipment weighing up 50 pounds throughout the Michigan Ross complex to remove or reallocate furniture, or perform other Facilities Assistant duties mentioned above.
- Will require work during early mornings, nights, and/or weekends
Michigan Ross values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of diverse and culturally intelligent staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment. The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.