The chair provides direction and leadership to facilitate and strengthen the biology departments teaching, research, and service missions. The selected candidate will promote and guide new initiatives in a large and diverse department, provide professional, intellectual, and administrative leadership, and have the ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and at all levels within the university. The chair will be expected to lead with vision and a strategic plan while facilitating open and inclusive dialogue with faculty and staff through processes outlined by faculty governance procedures. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to; program planning and implementation, budget management, personnel recruitment and management, performance evaluations and reviews, coordinating promotion and tenure cases, and professional development of the faculty, staff, and students. The selected candidate will have the background and experience commensurate with expectations for tenure at UM-Flint. The appointment will be at the level of tenured Associate or Full Professor with a salary proportionate to experience.
- Terminal degree in biology or health science-related field.
- Skills in administration in a university, industry, or government environment.
- Experience in advocating for and working collaboratively and collegially with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to develop and teach courses in biology at the college level.
- Research in biology or a related field resulting in peer-reviewed publications.
- Effectiveness in leading service activities at the department, college, university and/or professional levels.
- Evidence of effective and productive experience in an academic environment.
Additional experiences desired are experience in strategic planning in a university, industry, or government environment, and the ability to form and retain internal and external partnerships.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.