How to Apply
This is a multi-fill PA job opening.
A total of two (2) 1.0 FTE Physician Assistants will be hired to fill this job opening.
To provide health care and specialized psychiatric services to individuals and supportive services to their families within the Department of Psychiatry in an ambulatory setting; to provide educational experiences for health care professionals; to participate in development, implementation, evaluation, and outcome monitoring.
- General supervision for PAs will be received from the Ambulatory Psychiatry Medical Director or designee. Collaborative/Consultative relationships are maintained with other care providers, clinicians, disciplines, and departments.
Patient Care / Assessment of Medical/Psychiatric Status
- Perform comprehensive mental status examination and psychiatric evaluation.
- Order, conduct, and interpret appropriate diagnostic tests.
- Diagnose appropriate syndromes based on DSM-IV , DSM-V, and ICD-10 criteria.
- Plan treatment in collaboration with patients, families, and colleagues.
- Provide indicated treatments based on scientific principles, using, but not limited to, the following interventions:
- Prescribing pharmacologic agents.
- Evidenced based psychotherapies (e.g. Interpersonal Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy)
- Patient education including facilitation of self-care.
- Referral to other health professionals and resources.
- Documents all relevant data according to clinical and regulatory standards.
- Formulates the appropriate psychiatric/medical differential diagnoses based on the history, physical examination and clinical findings
- Identifies psychiatric and medical needs of the individual, and associated needs of the patient's family, as a result of the evaluation of the collected data
Development of a Treatment Plan
- Establishes priorities and a mutually acceptable plan of care to maximize the health potential of the individual patient. This includes delegated medical functions as designated in clinical privileges.
The interventions may include:
- Conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests
- Prescribing pharmacologic agents
- Prescribing non -pharmacologic therapies
- Providing relevant patient education
- Making appropriate referrals to other health professionals and community agencies
Continuous Quality Improvement/Research
- Supports institutional and unit goals for quality improvement. Participates in Quality improvement activities.
- Participates in systematic reviews of records and/or treatment plans for the
- purposes of peer review, self-evaluation, outcome monitoring and/or quality improvement.
- Supports research by defining research questions, participating and/or
- conducting research in the practice setting.
- Incorporates research findings into practice.
- Participates as a team member in the provision of psychiatric-mental health care, interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care.
- Promotes a safe and healthful environment through compliance with regulatory standards and other measures.
Education and Professional Development
- Participates in the education of health care professionals and students through mentoring, precepting, feedback in team and clinical care settings, providing inservices, seminars and formal presentations.
- Participates in own performance evaluation and establishment of plan for self-development and learning.
- Abides by the standards of care and standards of practice established by Michigan Medicine.
- Accepts and abides by the Guidelines for Ethical Conduct for the Physician Assistant Profession as established by the American Academy of Physician Assistants.
- Practices within the regulations of the Michigan Mental Health and Public Health Codes.
- Incorporates guidelines and standards into practice as established by state and national regulatory bodies and professional organizations.?
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
- NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
- RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
- You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- One or more years’ experience in a Mental Health setting
- Training in evidence-based psychotherapy (e.g. cognitive-behavioral therapy, interpersonal psychotherapy, or dialectical behavioral therapy).
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine policies and procedures.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Shift: Days with possible evenings based on clinical operations
Location: Rachel Upjohn Building
RESUME AND COVER LETTER REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.