Under direct supervision, handles routine inbound and outbound telephone inquiries. Relies on instructions and pre-established policies to answer customer questions.
Provide customer service to patients and families, through the facilitation of various call center functions including phone triage, maintenance of clinic schedules and appointments, and health record management. Respond to a high volume of telephone inquiries following UMHS and departmental scripts and procedures. Demonstrate customer excellence. Schedule patient appointments and procedures in a timely and accurate manner, and inform patients of any necessary instruction in accordance with established guidelines. Gather and verify patient demographics, insurance, referring and/or primary care physician information and other pertinent information, as appropriate. Initiate, route and follow-up on correspondence with clinicians regarding patient information, including efficient use of the electronic health record system in-boxes. Prepare patient itineraries and assemble and mail patient information packets. Efficiently perform general office duties.
Additional duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must adhere to a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills; and demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Must be an active team player with the ability to work independently; possess strong organization and prioritization skills; ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment, and demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Reasonable clerical experience, including familiarity with MS Word and Excel.
- Basic clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, basic typing, computer and data entry skills.
- Experience working within a large and complex health care setting, scheduling patient appointments.
- Basic medical terminology (may be tested).
- Patient account and/or insurance verification experience.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.