How to Apply
Please inclue a cover letter, as the first page of your resume (one document), demonstrating your interest in the position and describing how your skills align with the job requirements.
A unit of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan, the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is an international membership organization, with over 700 institutions from around the world. ICPSR provides access to empirical social science data for research and teaching. The atmosphere is collegial with a work environment that fosters communication and networking, incorporates a diverse staff with varying skills and experiences and offers family-friendly flexibility with work hours.
The core role of a Research Technician is to act as a Social Science Data Research Assistant to gain an understanding of research data files provided to ICPSR and convey that understanding to secondary researchers by improving the data file and creating documentation about the dataset and its variables.
- Prepare social science research data and related materials for permanent archiving and dissemination by:
- Reviewing data for issues related to confidentiality;
- Communicating with data producers and depositors to resolve issues of incompleteness;
- Using data management software to review, clean, recode, and verify research data;
- Compiling and editing research documentation;
- Structuring data and documentation files into archive-quality products for release via the ICPSR Web site;
- Writing descriptions of each group of datasets;
- Preparing data and documentation for use with online data analysis tools.
- Work collaboratively with team members and conduct peer work reviews, as well as work with ICPSR staff in different units of the organization, as needed.
- Provide support to data users by responding to questions about the data collections.
- Bachelor’s degree in a social science major or a related field;
- Background in social science research methods or survey design;
- Experience in data management, including editing, recoding, and merging data, or producing basic statistics about a data file;
- Experience with any of the following data management software: SAS, SPSS, Stata, R, SQL, Excel.
- Experience working with a variety of datasets;
- Experience working in a Linux environment to navigate files and run programs;
- Ability to read and summarize technical documents;
- Ability to organize and prioritize assignments, apply oral and written instructions and procedures, and execute tasks with minimal supervision
This position is for a full-time, terminal one-year appointment with the possiblity of extension. As part of the total compensation package, you will be eligible for the University of Michigan’s Benefits Program, which includes medical and dental insurance coverage, disability insurance, life insurance, reimbursement accounts, paid sick, holiday, and vacation time, tuition support, a fully-vested retirement program, and other benefits as outlined on the University’s website at: http://www.umich.edu/~benefits/.
The Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.