Collaborate with physicians in providing diagnostic and therapeutic services for Musculoskeletal radiology
The following functions/tasks will be independently performed by the physician assistant as instructed by, and with overall guidelines and supervision of, an attending staff physician.
- Coordinate activities of the musculoskeletal interventional division, approval of all interventional cases, pre-procedure, during procedure, and post procedure patient care, and maintenance of fluoroscopy, CT and ultrasound interventional procedure schedules.
- Provide telephone triage and case evaluation for referring services, patients, and families, including screening for appropriateness of procedure.
- Patient evaluation and consent prior to interventional procedures
- Performing a focused history and physical examination on patients prior to procedures or on a follow-up basis as needed.
- Independently/first assist in performing image-guided procedures such as but not limited to: joint injections/aspirations, bone /muscle biopsies, arthrograms, extremity aspirations or other procedures as directed by physician.
- Perform a patient assessment prior to administration of conscious sedation.
- Prep and drape patients and assist with setup for procedures.
- Write pre and post procedure notes and orders on all patients.
- Help monitor and streamline inventory of interventional equipment
- Serve as consultant to nursing personnel and other health care professionals caring for interventional patients.
- Responsible for patient education of outpatient care of abdominal/pelvic drains. This may involve patients, family members or other caregivers.
- Make follow-up telephone calls post-procedure.
- Triage or answer questions regarding post-procedure complications from patients or family members.
- Develop patient education materials related to interventional procedures.
- Coordinate outpatient discharge and write orders as needed.
- Work closely with musculoskeletal interventional director for continual assessment and revision of interventional practices as needed.
- Work closely with radiology patient care tech associates, residents and fellows as they learn cross-sectional interventional procedures. In this capacity, the PA will work with the interventional staff with regard to resident and fellow education.
- Drawing blood for needed laboratory studies, start intravenous lines as needed.
- Design appropriate data collection forms, databases, and keeping case records to be used with various research projects. Working closely with principle investigator is required.
- Assist with clinical research projects involving patient outcome.
- Maintenance of BLS and ACLS certification required.
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Satisfactory completion of a physician assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Good verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to mentor residents
This position requires moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring of patients.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.
- 2 year ortho or procedural physician assistant experience
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Our PA’s will rotate between the Main University Hospital, Children’s and Women’s Hospital and Brighton, and other locations as needed.
The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis in Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Our PA’s will rotate between the Main University Hospital, Children’s and Women’s Hospital and Brighton, and other locations as needed.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.