How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
HITS is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic manager of staff and technical development efforts. This role will lead highly technical development efforts, seek out and deploy improvement to existing systems, scope, plan and deliver new systems and services considering internal staff engagement and that with our customers and vendors. The successful candidate will first and foremost be a competent learner. The candidate will also be expected to effectively mentor and lead others in development methodologies, project work as well as work and coordinate with business analysts, project managers and customers to complete product design, development and deployment activities.
Leading candidates will be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Operate independently with minimal supervision and through close coordination with other team members and leadership.
- Suggest process improvements through automation of data flow and other modern approaches to providing data to customers.
- Proactively identify and prioritize business improvements
- Lead development of dashboards and reporting in an agile environment
- Coordinate with various business and technical groups whose support is needed to build or deploy data warehouses / applications / portals / dashboards.
- Manage approximately 14 staff’s development efforts.
Responsible for providing leadership and professional expertise and services through leveraging the knowledge and skills of others. Manages the administrative and operational objectives for Analytics Department within the Data Reporting and Analytics division. Manages people, processes and projects to implement the overall strategies and/or achieve the goals of the Analytics Department. This position is the senior manager for the Analytics department/division and reports to the Director of Analytics.
Makes decisions regarding projects, programs and initiatives that support the objectives established by senior leadership and ensure compliance with standard protocols and practice. Decisions, work results and recommendations significantly impact others within the department.
Will have subordinate project managers and group leads. The idea candidate will be guided by in-depth knowledge of University policies and objectives, and professional knowledge. Bachelor's or Master's degree and considerable professional experience with reasonable prior management, supervisory or team leader experience is required.
Analytics Services and Support:
- Manage the day to day components of analytical solution development services within the HIT&S Analytics Department
- Mentor, encourage and support staff in their quest to be their best in solutions development, discovery, dashboard development, customization and development of visualizations, trending, outliers.
- Research and develop proof of concept projects to socialize ‘Analytics’ within Michigan Medicine.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 or more years management in complex technical environments - emphasis on health care
- 2 years of experience with Epic software
- 3 or more years experience with Tableau or similar analytics tools
Qualified individuals must be able to communicate clearly in writing and verbally to clients, peers, management and vendors. Candidates must also be able to communicate business requirements to technical staff and technical concepts to business staff, demonstrate a high tolerance for complexity and ambiguity as well as the ability to identify tasks and complete them with limited supervision
Critical experience and skills include a background in Information Technology as well as Data Visualization, Dashboard creation, Process Improvement and an understanding of all stages of information systems development. Ability to provide examples of competent learning skills in action.
- Master's degree in related field
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.