Candidate will be the Physician Assistant assessing and treating the needs of patients consulted on by the inpatient Medical Gastroenterology Consult service with a 10% effort in the Urgent Care Gastroenterology Clinic. This position offers the candidate a special opportunity to foster leadership skills both on the GI consult team as well as within UMHS and/or the PA profession.
1. Interview patients to obtain a detailed history and perform complete physical examinations.
2. Collect and assist in the interpretation of reports from diagnostic and laboratory tests, radiographic procedures and clinical studies.
3. Present pertinent data to the attending physician and collaborate on the care plan.
4. Carry out patient care plans as established in collaboration with attending physician.
5. Prioritize need for patient evaluation and outpatient follow up.
6. Write and sign prescriptions according to protocols or critical pathways as prescribed by the supervising physician.
7. Confer with attending physicians and fellows, as well as, communicate with other care providers to coordinate care of patients.
8. Maintain appropriate documentation regarding patient status, evaluations and treatment.
9. Provide patient education for patients and their care givers.
10. Administer follow up care to patients and assist in the referral to various internal and external facilities.
11. On an as needed basis, compile and record detailed narrative case evaluations and provide statistical summaries of services rendered.
12. Participate in the education of nurses and other support personnel.
13. Maintain continued medical education and development via informal discussions, regular meetings with his/her supervising physician, outside reading and attendance at formal conferences and meetings.
14. This is a consultative service that requires working with a team of residents, fellows and an attending physician who rotates every 2 weeks.
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Satisfactory completion of a physician assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
This classification requires Primary Source Verification.
- Prefer two years of experience as a PA in the clinic or hospital.
- Prior experience with Epic EMR is desirable.
Hours/Week: 40 hours
Shift/Hours/Days: Day / 8:00 am - 5:00 pm / Monday-Friday
Physician Assistant- Medical Subspecialty Tier 2
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.