How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) temporary job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 149893 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 149894
A total of one (1), Advanced Practice Professionals (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this TEMP job opening.
Under physician supervision, coordinates care of acutely ill neonates in the intensive care and acute care unit settings.
Specifically, role requires the NP/PA to perform advanced diagnostic and therapeutic tasks associated with neonates admitted to the NICU.
- Direct, coordinate and participate in neonatal transports (ground and air) to and from UMHS.
- Initiate medical treatment, in collaboration with supervising physician, to stabilize the neonate prior to and during transport and lead a team to retrieve neonates from other institutions.
- The NP/PA will complete detailed histories and physicals and present pertinent data to the medical staff.
- Collect and interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies.
- Order tests and prescribe medications.
- Perform various diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor procedures.
- Contribute to the education of new resident physicians to the service and assist in maintaining continuity of care throughout the NICU.
- Confer with attending physicians and communicate with other care providers/consultants to coordinate clinical care.
- Maintain accurate documentation regarding patient status, evaluations, and treatment.
- Streamline the patient transfer process between levels of care, including writing discharge orders and communicating specific patient needs to team members.
- Attend high risk deliveries, lead neonatal resuscitation activities. Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the attending physician, and/or NICU medical director.
- Utilize new improvements and/or technologies that relate to job assignment.
Note: This is a day/night positionThis position includes weekend and holidays shifts as required by the service.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Registered Nurses job family under number 149893 for NPs to apply.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Clinical experience in a Neonatal ICU.
- A minimum 1 year experience caring for acutely ill patients with diseases common in a NICU setting.
- Demonstrated ability to positively contribute to a team.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to function independently while assuring the medical care team is functioning smoothly and in collaboration with each other.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate clinical care ideas across multiple patient care services and to communicate as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment. Demonstrated high level of motivation to learn and to participate in activities to improve patient care. Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Has completed a PA Post-graduate Residency Neonatology program.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitating the educational growth of others through previous clinical instructional roles.
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of current medical, surgical, and pharmaceutical treatment modalities of the acute and chronically ill neonates.
Shift: Day/Night rotation, This position includes weekend and holidays shifts as required by the service.Location: shift length may vary based on department needs.
Shift Hours: Variable as needed by the department.
Job Type: This is a temporary position without any guarantee of hours. Work could be offered intermittently.
C.S. Mott Children's Hospital- 8 West, Brandon Newborn Intensive Care Unit
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.