How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The UM Office of Research (UMOR) oversees and facilitates the research enterprise across the Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses. The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) is the face of the research enterprise to external agencies, organizations, and the public at large. OVPR currently seeks a highly motivated, experienced individual to provide highly responsible executive level administrative support to the Vice President for Research and to support OVPR activities and initiatives.
The executive assistant will provide executive level support for the work of the Vice President for Research, the Assistant Vice President for Research, and the Senior Director of Federal Relations for Research by performing a range of administrative and executive activities. This position works cross-functionally with and may provide backup administrative support to the executive assistants to the Associate Vice Presidents for Research. In addition, the incumbent will handle matters of a confidential or sensitive nature requiring broad experience, skill, and discretion.
Responsibilities will include: scheduling appointments and maintaining complex calendars; arranging meetings with multiple attendees with challenging schedules and providing logistical support (e.g., agendas, AV, PowerPoint slides, materials, meeting minutes,); greeting visitors and the triage of inquiries; managing electronic and paper files including oversight of the Bentley historical archive process;; handling incoming and outgoing mail; screening incoming phone calls; initiating and preparing routine correspondence including email correspondence; drafting/proofreading sensitive promotion and appointment and other high-visibility communications; coordination and management of projects; event planning and support; coordination of complex travel arrangements; processing travel reimbursements; reconciliation of P-Cards; and coordinating arrangements and schedules for visitors.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Progressively responsible and demonstrable secretarial experience.
- Proven collaborative and team- centered attitude.
- Ability to efficiently handle multiple projects from different supervisors.
- Excellent organizational skills, prioritization, and follow-through.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to use advanced business software and computer applications.
- 5-10 years of progressively responsible administrative experience supporting executive level positions.
- Considerable knowledge of University and organizational policies and procedures.
- Experience working in an executive office with exposure to the research enterprise is preferred.
- Forward-planning skills, and demonstrated ability to organize and execute a diverse range of activities with minimal oversight.
- Strong interpersonal and English language skills and the ability to represent the Office of the Vice President of Research to a broad range of constituents.
- Ability to work accurately and with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to skillfully manage multiple, competing priorities.
Please note that relocation assistance will not be provided for this position.
Salary will be commensurate with experience, education, and equity factors.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.