How to Apply
We, the staff and faculty of the U-M Cardiovascular Center (CVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence. Each CVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The CVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Cardiovascular Centers philosophy and culture:
Assess and evaluate the overall clinical picture and needs of cardiac surgery with specific focus on LVAD, transplant, and Mitral patient population. Work in an integrated fashion with physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, VAD coordinators, physical therapists, nutritionists, discharge coordinators, and other consulting services to provide high quality patient care for inpatients and outpatients. Provide education and orientation for preoperative patients seen in clinic and as inpatients. Provide professional nursing support to Cardiac Surgery Advanced Faculty including, first contact for triaging inpatient consults, facilitate hospital to hospital transfers, complete patient insurance forms, and coordinate preoperative diagnostic studies. Provide inpatient clinical support to the Advanced Practice Team by participating in clinical rounds, assessing patients, adjusting care orders and other activities as directed under protocol. Documents care and patient progress through detailed patient records. Provide discharge education to patients and families. Emphasis on providing innovative clinical leadership, support, and mentoring to facilitate the development of the Advanced Practice Team and other support services. Participates in data collection for the Adult Cardiac Surgery database and other QA,/QI endeavors related to Cardiac Surgery. Note: This is a day position, no weekends. Reports to the Manager of the Advanced Practice Team for Cardiac Surgery.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined. If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted under the Role-Specific Advancement Model (RSAM) as:
Actual RSAM LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.
RSAM levels range from ENC-COMPETENT to ENC-EXPERT TO ENC-MASTERY.
- Successful completion of an accredited nursing program.
- Must hold current license to practice nursing in the State of Michigan.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in cardiac surgery or cardiovascular surgical setting with demonstrated expert clinical leadership abilities.
- Recent experience providing outpatient phone triage to post-cardiac surgery patients.
- Recent experience with providing patient/family preoperative teaching in the Cardiac Surgery population.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and to positively contribute to a team.
- Must be detail oriented and be able to manage rapidly changing clinical situations.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate the clinical care needs of complex patients.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as organizational abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate in an effective and clear manner, the pertinent clinical issues to the team.
- Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated ability to function independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments and manage busy work environment.
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated competence with intermediate to advanced computer functions including CareWeb, Groupwise and Excel.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Experience in clinical leadership role in post cardiac surgery population.
Demonstrates expert knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and current
surgical, as well as pharmacological treatment of the Adult Cardiac Surgery patient
population. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in planning, developing, and
implementing complex Continuous Quality Improvement activities. Demonstrated active
participation in unit operations and/or clinical programs. Recent experience with
providing patient/family postoperative discharge teaching in the Cardiac Surgery
population. ACLS Certified.
Shift: Day Shift, Monday-Friday, (4) 10 hour shifts
Location: Cardiovascular Center- CVC Clinic
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.