The CLINIC RN will:
Provide coordinated clinical care to adult patients in the Department of Neurosurgery as a member of the Spine Division.
Provide direct patient care (wound management, pre-operative and post-operative care and evaluation, education and other common clinic procedures and tests) in a fast paced, sub-specialty surgical environment.
Provide telephone triage and advice and provide patient education for neurologic conditions including pre and post op care, direct clinical care, and nursing documentation using the EPIC Electronic Medical Record and Aspect Phone System.
Coordinate clinical efforts with attending physicians, resident and fellows, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners and students; reviewing laboratory values, imaging, etc. with faculty as needed and discuss results/recommendations with patients.
Facilitate pre-operative patient education class including but not limited to educating patients on pre-operative hygiene, surgical process and expectations of surgery, and complete pre-operative consenting of patients.
The candidate selected will be involved in developing and implementing standards of care and protocols, and complete other duties as assigned, to improve the patient experience, patient outcomes, and quality of patient care provided.
Candidate must be able to perform duties independently, be highly motivated and flexible in order to address the needs of patients and their families.
Candidate should be familiar with internal and external resources for clinical assessment, decision making, care management and participate in departmental quality improvement measures as well as LEAN processes and programs.
Maintain knowledge of nursing practice by utilizing current nursing and healthcare literature for information and problem solving.
Be willing to travel to other Neurosurgery clinics with the expansion of the department.
Nursing Specific Info
Salary & Nursing Framework Level:
This UMPNC RN posting is posted as Nursing Framework LEVEL C (B INC).
Actual Nursing Framework LEVEL and salary will be determined at time of hire.
Nursing Framework levels range from Level A to Level E.
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current license to practice Nursing in the State of Michigan.
- Minimum of two years of recent RN experience (within last 4 years) with adult surgery patients.
- Minimum of two years of recent RN experience (within last 4 years) with adult Neurosurgery/Spine patients.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated excellence in critical thinking skills and problem solving skills in daily practice: assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of care.
- Demonstrated customer service and conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish collaborative practice with multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to function independently.
- Demonstrated skills to organize and manage multiple interventions simultaneously understanding acuity and urgency in prioritizing duties.
- Demonstrated flexibility in accepting changing clinical assignments on short notice.
- Proficiency in computer and keyboarding skills, using an electronic medical record, and Microsoft Office and calendaring experience.
- Reliable transportation to drive to varying clinic locations
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Recent ambulatory care experience inclusive of tele-health experience (within last two years)
- Procedural or surgical experience
- Participation in quality improvement or LEAN initiatives
Hours: 8-hour shift, 40 hours per week
Days/ Shift: Day shift; variable days; variable hours depending on clinic needs
Location: Taubman Center
* Note: All new employees will be expected to float to a designated unit(s) in times of low census.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.