How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position reports directly to, and supports the President's Special Counsel. This position has independent responsibility for a significant volume and variety of high-level administrative and project oriented functions, as well as in handling matters of a confidential and/ or sensitive nature. This position interfaces regularly with the University President as well as with the members of the University's executive team. Focused on providing excellent assistance to the Special Counsel, the position's demands are variable in nature, type and volume. Occasionally requires work on evenings and weekends to accommodate peak work volumes as well as schedules of committees, events and project timelines. This position is an integral part of the President's Office team and works together with all members of the team to support, represent and execute the priorities of the President. Minimum salary of $75,000
- Performs advanced, diversified and confidential administrative duties and project work independently or with little supervision.
- Triages and where possible, independently resolves a high volume of contacts and inquiries relating to the Special Counsel's scope of work. Tracks correspondence ensuring timely replies to all contacts.
- Manages the Special Counsel's calendar and time effectively and proactively, adapting to changing priorities. Prepares, assembles and tracks materials and other background information in advance for calendar items.
- Schedules standing and ad hoc meetings of high level working groups and committees. Prepares and distributes materials and meeting minutes.
- Composes and initiates correspondence and memoranda, reports, and other documentation, including items for the president's signature. Reviews and proofreads all materials.
- Staff support for executive team meetings with President, responsible for all logistical aspects of the meeting before and during the meeting times. Assists Special Counsel with preparation of agenda and relevant materials. Liaison with executive team members (and guests) who are initiating agenda items.
- Facilitates schedule changes and communication and troubleshoots issues during the meetings.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for Special Counsel managing complex itineraries (including travel reports and travel reimbursement). Process business and travel expenses using University systems and institutional purchasing card.
- Initiate contracts and review, process, and track a variety of financial transactions relating to ongoing work and projects of the Special Counsel.
- Coordinates and/or participates in the coordination of special or annual events, university ceremonial activities, special events related to project work and other events as appropriate.
- Assist with coordination and serve as liaison for Special Counsel with direct reports, organizing and preparing agenda and notes for team meetings and prioritizing contacts and matters from direct reports for the Special Counsel's attention.
- Independently or with little supervision, administers select projects including supporting high-level advisory committees. Prepares agendas, minutes and follow up documentation including drafting complex plans and other documents. Tracks progress and prepares reports using a variety of data analysis and other presentation tools.
- Creates and maintains organized and accessible electronic and other records and files pertaining to the work of the Special Counsel.
- Performs internet, library and other research pertaining to various projects and issues. Analyzes data and uses a variety of data presentation tools to present research for Special Counsel and other audiences.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative experience.
- Demonstrated administrative management skills commensurate with working successfully at a high level in an academic or executive level setting including dealing professionally with confidential or sensitive matters; the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast paced environment; a high level of attention to detail; and the ability to anticipate emergent issues and needs, and to handle or advise appropriately.
- Excellent communication skills including effective interpersonal communication.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office products and other office software required. Interest in and experience with new technological solutions to work tasks is preferred.
- Understanding of and dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion in the University setting.
- Skills, ability and strong orientation toward working as a member of team.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.