Revenue Cycle Unit C team is looking for a Senior Billing Clerk/Patient Account Representative for Blue Shield, BCN, Medicare, Medicare Managed Care, Medicaid and Medicaid Managed Care Professional Receivables. Responsible for accurate claim submission, resolve complex insurance inquiries and reimbursement issues; monitor and analyze outstanding insurance receivables with responsibility for ensuring optimal reimbursement and resolve of credit balances.
- Status patient accounts for nonpayment from Blue Shield, BCN, Medicare, Medicare Managed Care, Medicaid and Medicaid Managed Care initiating appropriate follow-up action, respond to all levels of financial inquiries from patients, Blue Shield hospital and department personnel.
- Analyze account credit balances and resolve via refund, account adjustments, etc
- Monitor and analyze Blue Shield, BCN, Medicare, Medicare Managed Care, Medicaid and Medicaid Managed Care Insurance reimbursement levels
- Recommend and implement corrective action for insufficient payment or inappropriate rejections.
- Analyze nonpayment situations and recommend procedure changes which may resolve such negative trends.
- Resolve daily edits.
- Review claim forms for accuracy and completeness.
- Analyze account credit balances and resolve via refund, account adjustments, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks timely.
- 2-3 years office experience, including
- 1-2 years in a hospital or physician business office performing Commercial Insurance collection functions.
- Considerable knowledge of 3rd party reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in use of computers and software, including Microsoft Office products with the ability to type 40-60 wpm with accuracy may be necessary.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple items simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated experience efficiently and professionally handling and protecting items confidential in nature.
- Demonstrated ability work in a team environment, build trust in the working relationships with other staff and faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated attention to details.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities are necessary.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan and UMHS policies, procedures and as well as regulatory requirements.
- Experience with UMHS systems including MiChart, Outlook, Epremis, CHAMPS, Webdenis, as well as other payer websites.
- Professional billing experience within the last 5 years.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.