How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
EDUC 445: Teaching Students with Exceptionalities in the General Education Middle and High School Classroom – Secondary MAC Programs
The individual working in this position needs to be available and able to teach one section of graduate students during the Winter 2018 (approximately 14 weeks).
- Planning and teaching the identified sessions
- Consulting and meeting regularly with other program faculty and staff, formally and informally; virtually and/or in person
- Participating in occasional instructor professional development
- Providing timely feedback on student work
- Evaluating and grading student work
- Holding regular office hours; virtually and/or in person
- Successful teaching experience at the secondary (grades 6-12) level
- Record of successful teaching experience with preservice teachers or transferable equivalent, such as leading teacher professional development and/or comparable post-secondary teaching experiences; and
- Graduate degree in an education program/education-related field; and
- Proficiency with learning management systems (e.g. Canvas) and software programs for collaborative work (e.g. Google docs, Box, etc.)
- Experience incorporating diversity, inclusion, justice, and/or equity-related content into course curricula
- Demonstrated ability to critically examine selected contemporary reform efforts in education from the perspective of one or more of the foundation disciplines
- Prior work with teacher preparation, either as a mentor teacher or guest presenter
- Experience managing demands and expectations from multiple stakeholders (e.g. teaching interns, university faculty and administration, mentor teachers)
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Lecturers Employee Organization, AFL-CIO, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of ten calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
- Knowledge of theories and practices related to teaching and learning in secondary schools, preferably in special education
- Knowledge of the curriculum and instructional approaches specific to the EDU 445course (Sample syllabi available at: https://umich.box.com/s/osdmdq24c5o1boex6xquupqz7d8w6mkr)
- Knowledge of the curriculum of the Secondary Master of Arts with Certification (SecMAC) program (Program information available at: http://soe.umich.edu/academics/teacher-administrator-certification/)
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.