How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Sponsored Programs seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The Finance-Sponsored Programs office is looking to hire an Accountant Lead to manage the day-to-day operations of the Reporting area. The position will report to the Financial Senior Manager and will supervise staff and business processes that serve Sponsored Programs and other UM customers, as well as external sponsoring entities. The position should provide visible and effective leadership to their staff in a manner that ensures operational excellence and quality customer service.
The position is responsible for ensuring the objectives are achieved by the team and managing the team's daily operational performance. This individual provides direction to their staff and is expected to uphold a culture that encourages continuous improvement and University compliance. They will regularly coach and develop his/her staff to assure a team-based and collaborative environment.
- Supervise 3 reporting operation supervisors
- Assign, manage, and monitor staff’s workload to ensure timely report submission to the sponsor
- Collaborate with the University community to ensure timely report submission
- Review monthly metrics and projections reports
- Serve as a liaison for Payroll and SSC (AR and AP)
- Provide oversight to University community on sponsor requirements, closeouts, and timelines
- Ensure projects are closed on a monthly basis to expedite inactivation within the specified internal due date
- Implement continuous improvement initiatives, system enhancements, policy changes, and other special projects on an ad hoc basis
Candidate must have Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field (minimum 8 accounting courses). Candidate must have 3 years of supervisory experience or demonstrated high level performance as a team lead. Candidate must be highly motivated and enjoy working in a fast paced, production environment. Candidate should possess strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate and work with a variety of individuals and units. Candidates must be detail oriented, organized, and have the ability to prioritize multiple projects and work independently. Candidate should have 8 years of experience in sponsored research accounting, Sponsored Programs office experience preferred. Candidate should be proficient working with Microsoft Office Suite, Business Objects, eRPM and M-Pathways/PeopleSoft.
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture. Exhibits understanding of the unique issues related to higher education and sponsored project research administration.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation. Effectively manages relationships and collaborates with others at all levels throughout the University.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback. Applies new skills and knowledge gained in an effort to add value to the organization.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others. Proven ability to work successfully in a high volume, fast pace environment with competing priorities.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds oneself accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture. Displays solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment. Delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of $6 billion, is a leader in higher education. The Finance Division reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and partners with the University community to provide the financial infrastructure essential to being one of the world’s greatest public universities. We are comprised of several units including Financial Analysis, Financial Operations, Procurement Services, Sponsored Programs and Treasury. Though we are made up of several distinct divisions, we share a common set of values and goals. For more information about the Finance division, please go to www.finance.umich.edu.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.