Brighton Center for Specialty Care
The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis Rd. Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why work on the Michigan Medicine Ophthalmology Team?
As a Surgery Scheduler for Michigan Medicine, you will use a variety of health care and clerical skills to schedule and coordinate surgical appointments for the Kellogg Eye Center. At Kellogg, we provide over 175,000 patient visits per year in 10 different locations in and surrounding Ann Arbor. With 100 faculty members, 21 residents, and 10 clinical fellows we strive to provide the best eye care available anywhere in the world. You’ll interact with adult and pediatric patients, seeking ordinary to highly specialized care. We’ll work with you to master our electronic health records (MiChart) and scheduling software (OpTime and Snapboard) to ensure efficiency. You will initiate the prior authorization process, including contacting third party payers for financial approval and/or verification of coverage. Additionally, you will follow up with any denials and the appeal process.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Generous PTO program
- 75% tuition reimbursement
- State of the Art technology
- Paid holidays
- Tremendous team support
What skills would you master?
- You will provide highly responsible and skilled outpatient clerical support to the Kellogg Eye Center, working with patients/families and faculty to schedule inpatient/outpatient surgery
- You will obtain detailed benefit information for all aspects of surgery
- You will function as part of a multidisciplinary team with the providers and other medical professionals in the coordination of patient care
- You will obtain clearance for surgical cases and ensure all necessary data is in place prior to scheduling a surgical date
- You will collect cash and credit card payments for copays and surgical fees
- You will participate actively in efforts to improve processes that will enhance the experience of internal and external customers
What minimum qualifications are required?
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3 – 4 years of experience
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and prior experience with scheduling appointments are helpful
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
This is a full-time position, working Monday through Friday. Typical hours are from 8:00AM-5:00PM. The hours depend on the clinic operation hours.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together improve our contribution to society.
A cover letter is NOT required for consideration.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
External Applicants please note that for the first phase of this posting, we will be considering current employees exclusively in an effort to offer advancement opportunities to our tenured employees. You are still able to submit your resume for consideration during this period but our process for external employees will begin 30 days after the posting date.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.