How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
About North Star Reach
North Star Reach (NSR) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a life-changing camp experience for children with serious health challenges. Founded in 2007, North Star Reach has been garnering resources, building organizational infrastructure, and preparing for the future of “the camp” for the last 10 years. The organization has finished the last phase of a comprehensive capital campaign to support the construction of a medically based camp. We are now looking to develop a cohesive operating fund campaign. North Star Reach is supported by partnerships with children’s health centers from across the Great Lakes Region. North Star Reach is also a member of SeriousFun Children’s Network. There is no cost for children and their families to attend camp. Please review what is important to us to ensure that this position is a good fit, https://www.northstarreach.org/about-us/values-mission.
Reports to: CEO, North Star Reach
Supervises: Major Gifts Officer Intermediate
Supports: Board members and development volunteers as needed
The Major Gift Officer Senior is the chief fundraiser for the organization and responsible to generate a minimum of $3M in ongoing annual support to ensure sustainable programming and operations. Responsible to lead the strategic creation and implementation of a diversified comprehensive fundraising program to grow and sustain the financial capacity of North Star Reach. Collaboration with the CEO and other key stakeholders is essential.
- Create and execute strategies to identify and secure new individual donors and fully leverage existing donor relationships to raise funds and develop a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Identify and cultivate major donors and solicit major gifts around the Great Lakes Region
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Develop, implement and monitor a three-year strategic plan to grow NSR operational funding and develop fund capacity strategies. Build and develop a stakeholder team capable of securing long-term funding relationships for camp.Primary responsibility is to cultivate and secure major gifts from a variety of sources
- Assist the CEO to identify, cultivate, steward and manage a personal portfolio of current and future donors, board and committee members and volunteers
- Collaborate with and support CEO, Board members, staff and external stakeholders to achieve plan objectives and results
- Be willing to both oversee and implement each component of the development operation
- Manage the Fundraising/Development Budget
Donor Relations and Management
- Manage the development and implementation of a comprehensive, timely, innovative stewardship program for all major donors
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors that support the annual fundraising goals and promote long-term sustainability
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors and meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them
Development Operations and Reporting
- Oversee the entire development process.Create and implement internal gift policies and protocols from donor identification through stewardship, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness
- Utilize fundraising database (GiftWorks) and other donor identification programs, to track donor prospects in a Moves Management process to enhance and advance prospect and donor relationships
- Develop budget projections in conjunction with the CEO, Finance Director, MGO Intermediate and development committee. Recommend fundraising goals to the Chair and the board
- Conduct thorough fundraising and expense analyses to determine budget projections and goals
- Participate as a member of the North Star Leadership Team and work with the development committee
- Develop, monitor, and maintain an established budget for all development activities
- Develop an appropriate level of internal communication, reporting and tracking of results; maintain strong lines of communication with colleagues and key stakeholders
- Provide monthly reports on fundraising progress against goals with analysis of variances as needed
Communications, Marketing and Public Relations
- Collaborate with the CEO, MGO Intermediate and Marketing Director to formulate strategies and approaches for managing the North Star Reach Brand
- Work closely with the CEO to respond to emergencies, crisis, or negative publicity in a timely manner with the highest level of professionalism and sensitivity
- Collaborate with Major Gifts Officer Intermediate, Marketing Director and CEO to develop North Star’s Reach case for support.Develop a verbal and written case for developing operational support and key programs and projects
- Engage in public relations/promotional activities at events that represent the camp as needed
- Baccalaureate degree
- Six years or more of progressively responsible development experience at a senior fundraising level in a non-profit setting with a proven track record in building individual, foundation, capital, corporate and endowment programs.Must demonstrate achievement of fundraising goals and experience in securing six-figure gifts
- Experience in working in a multifaceted environment
- Evening and weekend availability
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
Competencies and attributes
- Must possess a passion for mission-based fundraising that works with young people with serious medical challenges
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgment and diplomacy as well as maintaining the highest integrity of ethics
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort with philanthropic community and major gift donors as well as working with foundations and corporations
- Solid, persuasive verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to deliver inspiring and succinct presentations and conduct productive meetings
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as, a proven record of working collaboratively and diplomatically with others
- Demonstrated ability to build a diverse team and effectively manage, motivate, and mentor staff
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Strong business acumen; decision-making skills, ability to set priorities; process and project management skills
- Master’s degree
- Understanding the social impact and experience that camp provides
- Experience working with a volunteer fundraising board
North Star Reach's office is located in Ann Arbor, the camp is located in Pinckney MI.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.