How to Apply
We, the staff and faculty of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center (FCVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Caring, Teamwork, Integrity, Innovation and Excellence. Each FCVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The FCVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center’s philosophy and culture:
Excellent service is an expected and integral part of the FCVC culture. To be considered for this position, a cover letter is required and should be attached as the first page with your resume. The cover letter should address each of the following points in 50 words or less:
- Describe your background and qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for this position at the FCVC.
- Outline your service excellence, communications and event planning skills and experiences which would be applicable to this position.
- In your most recent position, how was service excellence emphasized?
- Describe a situation in which a customer or colleague was upset and the steps you took to resolve the issue to a reasonable conclusion.
- Describe your key impressions of the FCVC presentation found here:
Responsible for managing the clinical operations of the Frankel Cardiovascular Center including the FCVC multi-disciplinary Clinic, Call Center, Cardiac Surgery Advanced Practice Teams, Patient Flow Coordination Team, Circulatory Support (Ventricular Assist Device) Team, and other clinical operations that may be added by consensus of the FCVC Directors. Also responsible for general oversight of the FCVC building/facility, Quality/Lean operational initiatives, clinical efforts and interdisciplinary program development that results from the strategic planning process, and process improvement while meeting unit of service targets, preparing and proposing activity, operational and capital budgets and responding to variations in the forecast throughout the fiscal year.
In addition, the role includes leading and tracking strategic clinical initiatives including market analysis, financial analysis, understanding our outreach strategies and enhancing referring physician communications and processes. Also included are other hospital-based activities and improvement projects (capacity management, telemetry project), as well as participating in the institution wide administrator-on-call (AOC) program and lead for Joint Commission and other regulatory agencies preparation and compliance for the FCVC.
Responsible for providing leadership and professional expertise and/or services through leveraging the knowledge and skills of others; manage the administrative and operational objectives of the FCVC clinical programs; manage processes and projects and coach and mentor staff to implement the overall strategies and/or achieve the goals of the FCVC.
Leads the clinical programs of the FCVC including advising managers and supervisors regarding operational and human resource issues, processes and continuous improvement efforts.
Makes decisions regarding projects, programs and initiatives that support the objectives established by the FCVC Directors and senior leadership, and /or to ensure compliance with standard protocols, policies and procedures.
Participates in and/or leads efforts in enhancing the culture of the FCVC including internal work flow and communication; service excellence among divisions and for our end customers; and creating the ideal work environment for faculty and staff and the ideal patient care experience for our patients.
Participates in and/or leads Patient and Family Centered Care initiatives to promote the FCVC as a venue that strives to create the ideal patient and family care experience to enhance our services for those we serve. This includes a leadership role in supporting the FCVC’s Patient and Family and Staff Advisory Committee.
Works with clinical managers and supervisors regarding human resource and talent management questions and complies with respective employment contracts to assure we are enhancing learning opportunities for staff, coaching and mentoring, and meeting the intent of labor practice.
Manage respective financial accounts to meet forecasting assumptions, provide variance reporting when actual does not meet projected plans, and provide timely responses in preparing forecasts (operational, activity and capital). Works in partnership with respective units to develop appropriate unit of service targets and is held accountable for achieving targets.
Provides operational support for the strategic initiatives of the FCVC including understanding target markets, clinical strategies, and how to assess and adjust operations to meet the strategic objectives.
Prepare MQS A3’s in problem resolution, bringing appropriate representation together in problem solving and working through Lean principles to reach improved communication and understanding of the issues to bring to resolution.
Provide written and oral proposals to leadership that clearly identify issues or requests for resources in a manner that is data driven, logical, and meets the needs of the respective parties, and is cost effective, benchmarked appropriately to reach a logical, well thought-out conclusion.
The scope of the role ranges from assisting managers with advice and leadership for daily operations to recommending the strategic direction and providing leadership in operational changes for the FCVC and contributing to the overall strategy, direction and vision for several function areas.
Responsible for the FCVC administrative team’s human resources management (hiring, promotion, salary changes, performance coaching, disciplinary actions, training and development, ensuring consistent application of organizational policies, etc.)
Incumbent has measurable impact on operational effectiveness, attainment of department/unit objectives, service to customers and attainment of clinical goals.
Management duties include interviewing, selecting and training of employees; setting and adjusting their rates of pay and hours of work; planning and directing their work; appraising their productivity and efficiency for the purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in their status; handling complaints and grievances and providing discipline as necessary.
Under FLSA, incumbents in this position meet the criteria for exempt status.
Direct supervision is received from the Frankel Cardiovascular Center Chief Administrative Officer and the Frankel Cardiovascular Center Directors.
Direct supervision is exercised over FCVC clinical managers including the FCVC Clinic/Call Center Manager, Patient Flow Coordination Team, Cardiac Surgery Advanced Practice Team Manager, and the Circulatory Support Team Manager.
- Demonstrated experience of at least 3-5 years in managing clinical operations including one or more of the following areas: ambulatory care operations, inpatient support team operations, non-invasive testing areas, and/or administrative support staff.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline and considerable professional operational experience with 5 years or more of prior management, supervisory or team leader experience.
- Significant experience indicating increasing responsibilities in a clinical venue setting as described above.
- Excellent organizational skills in setting and balancing multiple priorities with demonstrated outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on customer service especially in working with faculty and staff across multiple areas.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, coordinating and executing clinical operational work plans, process improvement, new program development, and/or clinical program proposals.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and maximum collaboration in a team environment.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people in a diplomatic and effective manner.
- Demonstrated problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing work place culture, embracing diversity and a commitment to creating the ideal work environment for faculty and staff.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints.
- Commitment to the FCVC Core Values is required.
- Demonstrated clinical management experience 10 years or greater.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cardiac and/or vascular clinical operations and the understanding of cardiovascular disease processes, terminology and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and plan for future operations given the evolving healthcare environment.
- In depth knowledge of University policies, rules and regulations, and professional knowledge.
- Understanding of the UM FCVC faculty and services provided.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.