How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Maintain and operate low and high pressure package steam boilers, hot water heating boilers and boiler auxiliary equipment.
- This work is accomplished on a rotating shift to provide 24-hour coverage.
- Operators care for a campus-wide fleet of 165 boilers, maintaining communication with the Facilities & Operations Service Center and contacting customers when necessary on trouble calls.
- Operators perform visual checks, adjust controls, blow down boilers, test safety controls, record various meter readings, conduct water quality tests and adjust chemicals as needed.
- Operators must also perform light maintenance tasks and occasionally work with boiler mechanics on more extensive maintenance and repair projects.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Maritime or powerhouse experience with high and low pressure boiler operations.
- Mechanical aptitude and knowledge of equipment, methods and materials used in boiler operations.
- Must be able to meet the requirements to operate a UM vehicle.
- Must be able to perform the fullrange of duties, with or without a reasonable accomodation, in the classification in an environment that has high levels of heat and noise.
- Knowledge in computers, water testing, and chemicals.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the International Union of Operating Engineers, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.