How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume.
We are looking for highly motivated writers with a strong curiosity to join our team of reporters at The Michigan Times, the University of Michigan-Flint’s student-run newspaper. Applicants should possess a strong desire to learn new things, be comfortable talking with strangers, and be willing to take on a large but rewarding commitment to telling the ongoing story of the UM-Flint community. Projects may range from investigative pieces to feature articles about art, music, or personalities on campus.
Specific duties and requirements include:
- Ten hours of schedule office work and ten flexible hours for “in the field” reporting and writing.
- Ability to cover student events and other breaking stories along with editorials (must be willing to change plans quickly to cover stories when needed).
- Ability to turn around complex stories on tight deadlines
- Analyze relevant documents; interview high-level regulatory officials and industry executives
No experience is needed and training will be provided, however a willingness to learn and strong writing skills are required. Must enjoy working in a high performance environment. For examples of the work we do, visit themichigantimes.com.
- Student applicants only with a GPA of at least 2.5
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Strong writing, analytical and communication skills are essential
- Some travel required
- Must be able to write about meaningful issues and events pertaining not only on a campus level, but a local perspective as well
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.