How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter must include examples of how your past work experience is applicable to this position and how:
- your services exceeded customer expectations
- you added value through collaboration with others
- you effectively communicated clear messages on complicated issues
Risk Management Services has an immediate opening for a Sr. Claims Representative. This is a unique opportunity for a claims professional who has experience with Property & Casualty claims management. The qualified candidate is someone who exercises critical thinking skills, independent judgment and thrives in a fast paced environment.
This position collaborates with providers, employees, outside resources and team members to assess coverage, coordinate benefits and services, plan, implement, coordinate, and provide restoration for damages sustained.
- Investigate claims to determine liability, including reconstruction of complex events, obtaining evidence and statements of claimants and witnesses, obtaining photos, and gathering evidence.
- Develop and implement claim management response to significant or complex claim events including strategies to mitigate loss, identify and implement necessary interventions, litigation management and negotiation of settlements, as applicable.
- Coordinate and implement services of health professionals, insurance adjusters and other external resources that pertain to a loss to a third party.
- Evaluate the contributing causes of claimed losses, pursuit of subrogation opportunities and determination of appropriate claim payment.
- Respond to inquiries and requests regarding interpretation and explanation of general policies and procedures.
- Determine causal relationships of multiple parties or events and determine the compensability or degree of liability for bodily injury, property damage and/or employee injuries.
- Coordinate investigation with outside parties including departments, legal counsel and external agencies.
- Identify subrogation opportunities and pursue recovery of University losses.
- Establish and manage adequate case reserves.
- Settle liability, property damage and workers’ compensation claims against the University within established guidelines and authority levels; assist in the negotiation of settlements for claims beyond such guidelines and authority levels.
- Produce reports analyzing claim information, litigation review, and others as needed.
- Produce status reports and detailed reports/correspondence with departments reflecting claim management and/or loss prevention strategies and recommended actions.
- Preparation of reports and information for distribution and presentation to other departments. Conduct presentations & trainings on claims, prevention, and other related topics throughout the organization.
- A Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of claim management experience with Property & Casualty claims.
- Experience with management of complex Property & Casualty claims is necessary.
- Demonstrated competency with using behavioral concepts and intervention strategies to critically assess situations, and develop plans of action to achieve resolution.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with insurers, legal counsel and other stakeholders interested in management of Property & Casualty claims, Auto No-Fault and personal injury claims.
- Strong customer service, collaborative, problem-solving, time management, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in communication skills.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.