To plan, prepare, coordinate and supervise the sterile instrument processing functions and activities for Central Sterile Processing Department.
- Direct supervision of all shift work (receiving, decontamination, cleaning, assembly, sterilization and distribution of surgical or procedural instruments and packs.
- Assures adherence to all quality systems, checks and measures.
- Assists the manager with all hiring, evaluation, counseling and termination of staff.
- Maintains safety standards to assure compliance with University, state and federal codes or regulations
- Responsible for employee productivity, employee presence in the work place and employee adherence to break times.
- Provide disciplinary action when needed
- Accurately maintains and approves employee time keeping systems and records in accordance with institutional and all regulatory requirements
- Supervises staff in compliance with bargained for agreements and contracts
- Coordinate work flow and services between departments
- Assist in the resolution of operating problems.
- Integrates ethical principles, professional standards, and evidence-based practice in all aspects of practice.
- Participates on committees, task forces, projects, and other meetings.
- Maintains educational and/or clinical competencies appropriate to role.
- Promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Facilitates the initiation and adoption of change and Lean principles
- Demonstrates flexibility.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Monitors and maintains sterilization documentation
- Assure parameters of sterilization are met and instruments are safe for use
- Initiates sterilizer load recall as indicated and completes all safety reporting documentation
- Assures that all equipment is properly maintained and testing is properly documented
- Assist with preparation of departmental reports
- Monitor and maintain department inventory and supplies
- Collaborate with and act as a liaison with other departments to support and facilitate safe and effective patient care
- Provide consultation, support, assistance
- Networking/information gathering
- Certification through CBSPD or IAHCSMM
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- Recent experience as an OR Instrument Processor or CSS professional
- 3-5 years experience in Central Processing
- Extensive OR instrumentation experience
- Graduate of a formal sterile processing program
- Demonstrated competency in Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to demonstrate University of Michigan Health Care customer service standards and behaviors.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to clearly express ideas and techniques.
- Creative thinking; analytical, problem solving and independent decision-making abilities; self-direction; theoretical knowledge and skill in instrument processing and sterilization systems.
- Organized, self-motivated, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Dynamic and energetic.
- Ability to quickly address difficult/emergent situations in a professional and confidential manner.
- Strong operational and clinical skills in Central Processing.
- 1-2 yrs supervisory experience
- Demonstrated competency in instrument tracking software systems
- associate Degree or higher
Monday - Friday from 2pm-1030pm. There will be on call coverage for weekend hours.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.