This job opening is for a Unit-Based Temporary RN position in the CVC Clinic.
* Please note that these positions do not qualify for UMHS benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level.
These positions are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
* In addition:
Unit- based temporary employees who have worked 400 hours in a calendar year then become a
Per Diem employee and have an obligation to pay dues or service fees as covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
* Once the employee meets the 400 hour threshold, they then are a union member for the duration of employment as Per Diem.
Temporary APRN employees and MVC temporary employees are not eligible for Per Diem status.
Assess and evaluate the overall clinical picture and needs of cardiac surgery with specific focus on LVAD, transplant, Aortic and Mitral patient population. Work in an integrated fashion with physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, VAD coordinators, physical therapists, nutritionists, discharge coordinators, and other consulting services to provide high quality patient care for inpatients and outpatients. Provide education and orientation for preoperative patients seen in clinic and as inpatients. Provide professional nursing support to Cardiac Surgery Advanced Faculty including, first contact for triaging inpatient consults, facilitate hospital to hospital transfers, complete patient insurance forms, and coordinate preoperative diagnostic studies. Provide inpatient clinical support to the Advanced Practice Team by participating in clinical rounds, assessing patients, adjusting care orders and other activities as directed under protocol. Documents care and patient progress through detailed patient records. Provide discharge education to patients and families. Emphasis on providing innovative clinical leadership, support, and mentoring to facilitate the development of the Advanced Practice Team and other support services. Participates in data collection for the Adult Cardiac Surgery database and other QA,/QI endeavors related to Cardiac Surgery. Note: This is a day position, no weekends. Reports to the Manager of the Advanced Practice Team for Cardiac Surgery.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Successful completion of an accredited nursing program.
- Must hold current license to practice nursing in the State of Michigan.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in cardiac surgery or cardiovascular surgical setting with demonstrated expert clinical leadership abilities.
- Recent experience providing outpatient phone triage to post-cardiac surgery patients.
- Recent experience with providing patient/family preoperative teaching in the Cardiac Surgery population.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and to positively contribute to a team.
- Must be detail oriented and be able to manage rapidly changing clinical situations.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate the clinical care needs of complex patients.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as organizational abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate in an effective and clear manner, the pertinent clinical issues to the team.
- Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated ability to function independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments and manage busy work environment.
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated competence with intermediate to advanced computer functions including CareWeb, Groupwise and Excel.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Experience in clinical leadership role in post cardiac surgery population.
Demonstrates expert knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and current
surgical, as well as pharmacological treatment of the Adult Cardiac Surgery patient
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in planning, developing, and
implementing complex Continuous Quality Improvement activities.
Demonstrated active participation in unit operations and/or clinical programs.
Recent experience with providing patient/family postoperative discharge teaching in the Cardiac Surgery
Shift: Day Shift, Monday-Friday, (4) 10 hour shifts
Location: Cardiovascular Center- CVC Clinic
PER DIEM/UNIT-BASED TEMPORARY NURSE GUIDELINES
1. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary employee working three or more shifts per scheduling period will be scheduled to work a minimum of two weekend shifts per scheduling period (8 hours = 1 shift). The contractual definition of a weekend applies for Per Diem or unit-based temporary employees.*
Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses who preschedule two or fewer shifts per scheduling period do not have to meet the weekend requirements.
They may add additional UNANTICIPATED SHIFTS ONLY.
2. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurse will be expected to work a portion of scheduled shifts on off shifts (recommended guide: 25%).
3. Managers may establish additional guidelines based upon individual unit scheduling requirements. Therefore, it is recommended that managers and per diem nurses or unit-based temporary meet to discuss specific unit
4. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurse will be scheduled to work the number of shifts during holiday weeks that reflects his/her normal scheduling pattern. Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses should be scheduled to work shifts during three out of the six holiday weeks and one of these weeks should be Christmas or New Year's week. (A week is defined as Sunday through Saturday during which the holiday falls).
Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses are to be scheduled after all regular staff are scheduled per contract language.
*Guidelines apply to all Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses regardless of hire date.
We, the staff and faculty of the U-M Cardiovascular Center (CVC) team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each CVC employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The CVC is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Applicants are expected to review the following PowerPoint presentation which provides an overview of the Cardiovascular Center's philosophy and culture:
This temporary position may meet eligibility requirements for health care benefits.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.