- Abstract diagnosis, procedures and physician identification information to complete physician and billing. Data entry of cases into MiChart.
- Provide Anesthesia cross walk codes, procedure, diagnosis and modifier coding using CPT and ICD-10 coding systems.
- Perform review of Epic edits daily and provide feedback on areas needing improvement.
- Assist co-workers with backlogged coding as required.
- Advise physicians on a day-to-day basis regarding documentation and coding standards.
- Refer delinquent documentation cases and concerns to physicians for investigation and follow-up.
- Keep abreast of current coding changes and standards of care to maintain RHIT, RHIA, CPC and/or CCS-P certification.
- Assist in development of departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines as related to coding and the systems that support this.
- Work in several different software programs (MiChart, Centricity, and Provation)
- Incorporate Lean principles into daily work.
- CPC/CCS/RHIT/RHIA certification.
- Prior work experience utilizing ICD10 codes.
- Knowledge of legal, regulatory and policy compliance issues related to medical coding and documentation and billing procedures.
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, and work independently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to provide guidance and training to professional and coding staff.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures is necessary.
- Prior anesthesiology and /or MPU coding experience preferred.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.