Highly motivated individual sought for a Research Laboratory Specialist Intermediate position in a basic research laboratory in the Department of Pharmacology, at Michigan Medicine. The candidate will work closely with the laboratory Principle Investigator (PI) to help assist in research projects research projects focused on GPCR and heterotrimeric G protein signaling mechanisms.
- Responsible for daily laboratory operations, including ordering/inventory, maintenance of OSEH compliance, preparing animal protocols, hazardous waste disposal, approval of time sheets and organization and maintenance of lab databases.
- May supervise exempt and non-exempt research and support personnel.
- Responsible for the maintenance of animal breeding colonies and will serve has health contact for core animals.
- Will develop, design and conduct research experiments in line with plan, review progress and evaluate results (with supervision from the PI).
- Will formulate research methods and suggest options for improving quality, identify potential problems, recommend and implement solutions.
- Will conduct analysis of data, and interpret and implement research methodology (with supervision from the PI).
- May act as liaison with other departments, divisions or organizations.
- May co-author publications and may co-present results with PI at meetings and/or conferences.
A Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences or closely related field, with at least 5 - 6 years relevant research experience involving protein purification and analysis techniques; including protein gel electrophoresis and Western blotting; enzyme assay development; Elisa development. Also should be familiar with genotyping PCR protocols and analysis. Other requirements include excellent oral and written communication skills utilizing the English language. Effective judgment and problem solving skills are necessary. Applicant must be highly motivated, well organized, and able to work with minimal supervision. In addition, the selected candidate will pay meticulous attention to detail with the proven ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently combined with a willingness to work as part of a team.
Master's or Ph.D. in the Biological Sciences with at least 8 years’ experience.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.