How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 151037 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 151038
A total of one (1), 1.0 FTE Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
- Provide care in surgical oncology to adult oncology patients with urologic cancers in the outpatient setting.
- Initiation and evaluation of new patient consultations and follow-up visits in collaboration with the supervising physician and independently in the surveillance/survivorship setting
- Patient and family education, counseling and support.
- Collaborate with and refer to other health care providers, and provision of education to nursing staff, students, and the community.
- Prescribe medications
- Write appropriate beacon orders and review them with supporting surgical oncologist, who will have the responsibility of final signage of chemotherapy orders.
- Participate in the care of patients enrolling on clinical trials.
- Perform and document via electronic health record medical histories, physical exams, and telephone conversations.
- Review laboratory and radiographic tests results and interface with medical staff and patients regarding results and plan of care.
- Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs to maintain knowledge of current literature.
- Prescribe according to standard of care patient management and investigational clinical trial protocols.
- Perform invasive and noninvasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as indicated for patient care and clinical research.
- Support the clinical practice of collaborating physician but also see patients independently.
- Contribute to the development, modification and interpretation of oncology guidelines, policies, and procedures, including quality assurance activities.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Nursing job family under number 151037 for NPs to apply.
Roles and responsibilities may be periodically adjusted as determined by the needs of the Cancer Center Clinical Program.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification (not license) to practice as an Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult primary care Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan is preferred. Family Nurse Practitioner will be considered.
- Graduate of an accredited Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner (NP) program or Family nurse practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a physician assistant program accredited by ARC-PA or one of its predecessor agencies.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as measured by references and interviews.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- The ability to function independently with minimal supervision.
NOTE: *employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
*Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- 1-2 years of NP/PA clinical experience in urologic oncology, preferably working with urologic surgical oncology patients or general urology
- Experience in caring for patients on oncology clinical trials
- Experience and efficiency in the use of a variety of computer applications.
- Experience in developing and providing staff and patient oncology education programs.
- Experience in caring for patients with a variety of acute and chronic medical conditions.
- Commitment to clinical and translational research.
- Demonstrated leadership in work setting and other professional activities.
- Recent experience in the University of Michigan Health System.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.