The Instrument Room perioperative tech, will assist the instrument room staff in transporting between the Central Sterile Processing Department, and the Operating Room, or OR. The runners will deliver the necessary instrumentation , and instrument related items when the staff from a department in CSPD or OR requests.
The assistants job duties are as listed:
- Transferring instruments, instrument carts, or implants from the CSPD to the OR, or vice versa
- Putting sterile instruments away on the shelves in the OR area
- Moving/delivering/pickingup carts/bins/racks of used instruments to the OR/CSPD/Hospital and bringing new carts to OR when the lift is not functioning
- Moving carts of sterile instruments to the OR from CSPD when the lift is not functioning
- Taking down implant trays to the OR for restocking, or returning stocked implant trays to the CSPD
- Replacing full sterilization carts in instrument assembly are
- Taking items off instrument lift or placing items on instrument lift
- Assist in loading dirty lift in OR when necessary, due to backup of malfunctioning lift
- Unloading dirty lift with used case carts, and replacing with new case carts
- Sending sterile instruments to the OR for storage
- Moving instruments pans form storage , or replacing instrument pans in storage
- Assisting instrument room staff in retrieving instrument pans form storage when requested
- Storing washed and assembled instruments pans in storage
- Checking various areas on the 1st floor, or in CSPD, regularly for any instruments related needs
- Checking offices for implant trays that have been restocked and are ready to be sent down
- Checking for sterile loads of instruments that ready to be replaced in OR
- Retrieving minor items requested by staff
- Minor cleaning duties, such as wipe down surfaces, organizing work area, replacing trash bags, ect
- Assisting staff in the operation of the instrument lift
- Loading and unloading cart washer
Other duties as assigned
The runner will be supervised by the instrument room manager, and instrument room supervisors. The runner will also work with instrument processors and other OR staff
- Previous experience working in an OR/Instrument room setting
- Ability to work flexible shifts
- Ability to lift, stand, walk, and bend for long periods at a time
- Team work ethic
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to take direction and work independently in a busy clinical environment
- Shift: 3PM-11:30PM, 40 hours/week, Monday to Friday
- Rotating/occasional weekends
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.