- Perform the assigned duties in specimen Procurement in order to assure accurate and timely collection, order entry, transport, processing, and storage of specimens.
- Customer Service: Provide total customer focus to meet the needs of every customer, internal and external, medical staff, laboratory staff, patients and families.
- Specimen Collection: Perform phlebotomy on adult, pediatric, and newborn patients. Obtain blood specimens from patients with alternate venous access devices.
- Specimen Handling: Transport, label, centrifuge, aliquot, distribute, store, and prepare laboratory specimens for testing within Pathology Department and reference laboratories.
- Computer Data Entry: Enter laboratory test orders and results into the Laboratory Information System.
- Test Analysis: Perform POC laboratory analysis and quality control.
- Safety: Comply with safety instructions and observe safe work practices.
- Communication and Teamwork: Use effective communication including written, verbal and information technology skills. Work effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- Leadership: Model professional behaviors. Serve as a resource for all medical staff.
- Functional Assistance: Assist with special projects, in-services, evaluating new equipment and techniques, monitor laboratory inventory, and other additional assigned responsibilities.
- Training: Assist Allied Health Technical Coordinator and Training Coordinator as a preceptor for training new employees.
- Quality Assurance: Participate in continued Quality initiative.
- Other assigned duties.
High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. A minimum of 1 year of experience in phlebotomy is required for the specialist level.
Knowledge of computer applications is desirable. Reasonable knowledge of hospital policies and procedures is desirable. Certification or registration in an appropriate discipline is desirable. Considerable experience in phlebotomy or laboratory services is preferred. Indwelling and pediatric experience a plus. Port draw experience is highly desired.
Hours are Monday 8-1, Wednesday 8-1:30, Friday 8-5:30 and every 4th Saturday.
This position will be located at East Ann Arbor Health Center.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.