How to Apply
Applications will be accepted only through the University of Michigan jobs website (careers.umich.edu). Applications must include both cover letter and resume to be considered.
The Talent Gateway is an initiative unique to the UM-Dearborn that empowers students to drive their own development by providing opportunities for them to explore the connections among their academic, personal, and professional goals through gameful learning. This virtual community engages students with learning modules, discussion boards, resources and mentors.
Talent Gateway members can earn points by reflecting on a variety of “challenges” that leverage what they are already doing in class, at home and at work, thus enhancing their professional skills. Students who earn enough points and complete required challenges will earn the (M)Talent distinction on their official transcript. Talent Ambassadors are student guides who participate in the Talent Gateway by facilitating discussions, awarding points, and acting as mentors to Talent Gateway members.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Talent Gateway, including answering questions about the program and supporting and supervising the Talent Ambassadors. The successful candidate will have a willingness to tackle the tasks and responsibilities of the position in an efficient, timely, and organized manner and must be resourceful, intuitive, and have the ability to work with diverse work styles.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, interview, select and train student employees.
- Plan and direct student employee work efforts, including handling complaints and managing performance when necessary.
- Mentor student employees and Talent Gateway participants virtually and in person.
- Track Talent Gateway participant progress in the program, distributing (M)Talent certificates and awards, following up with participants as needed.
- Establish rapport with students, colleagues and employers, encouraging and promoting participation in the Talent Gateway.
- Coordinate logistics of events such as the (M)Talent Showcase, including catering, room reservations, in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage several concurrent events and activities with a high degree of attention to detail and time management.
- Maintain and update internally- and externally-facing websites as well as social media accounts.
- Create and implement online learning modules and “challenges.”
- Effectively network and partner with student organizations and other campus units, including but not limited to Talent Gateway unit partners.
- Represent the program and University in a respectful and professional manner.
- Bachelor’s degree or a combination of higher education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as excellent presentation skills to encourage and promote participation in the Talent Gateway.
- Evidence of innovative, creative problem solving ability in a fast-paced environment.
- Enthusiasm to engage with a wide variety of constituents.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as Google Docs and Sheets.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines with an attention to detail.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills to coordinate multiple priorities, work at high standards, and meet deadlines within a required timeframe.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team in a collaborative environment as well as demonstrated initiative and self-direction.
- This is a 40 hour a week position which requires flexibility in order to cover occasional evening and weekend events as required.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as Google Docs and Sheets.
- Experience working in higher education.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.