How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Buddy-to-Buddy provides outreach, support and linkage to resources to Veterans in Michigan through trained Veteran peers. It is one of the flagship programs under the M-SPAN (Military Support Programs and Networks) umbrella. These programs are dedicated to military mental health, and are housed in the University of Michigan Depression Center.
The Buddy-to-Buddy Masters prepared Social Worker is primarily responsible for providing mental health support and communications guidance to the 140+ Veteran Volunteers in the program, as well as direct supervisory duties over a small administrative staff and social work students/interns.
Mental Health Support (40%)
- Provides guidance to volunteers working with Veterans in need on enhancing communication approaches such as when they are unsure how to bring up a subject, when they have encountered resistance, or when they need help prioritizing when there are multiple issues
- Serves as primary point of contact for volunteers in crisis situations; works closely with VA or CMH mental health liaisons to handle mental health emergencies
- Performs suicide risk assessments
- Consults on the most challenging cases, and provides advice on how to approach hard-to-reach Veterans
- Assists with navigating resources and training in warm hand-offs
- Ensures volunteers are practicing their own self-care and not burned out or triggered by the intensity of the work
- Makes referrals to mental health clinicians who will provide volunteers and Veterans clinical care as required
Supervisory Duties (40%):
- Supervises administrative staff throughout the referral process from initial contact, to developing verbal or written responses, identifying mental health red flags, and supporting volunteers to increase “job” satisfaction
- Coordinates and facilitates weekly volunteer support teleconference calls
- Provides mentorship and direction for complex cases: develops, analyzes, and evaluates multiple courses of action to provide appropriate guidance to staff and volunteers in each situation
- Provides coaching and support to administrative staff for more difficult cases arriving via the 1-800 number call-in line
- Supervises social work interns who have placements at M-SPAN
Administrative Duties (20%):
- Prepares monthly reports on mental health referrals
- Supports Program Management in developing quarterly reports for stakeholders
- Reviews web-based activity logs from the staff and volunteers; identifies mental health red flags
- Performs other duties as requested
- Master’s degree
- Clinical Social Work License in state of Michigan (LMSW)
- 1-3 years of experience in a comparable role
- Experience working with a diverse population
- Prior supervisory experience
- Excellent written/verbal skills
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Proficient in PowerPoint, Excel and other Microsoft Office tools
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure
- Willingness to travel; some weekend/evening work required
Military Service or Affiliation strongly preferred (Service Member, Reservist, Guardsman, Veteran, or Family Member)
Monday - Friday, 9am -5pm
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.