How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position provides the development, administration and assessment of a comprehensive Club Sports program and works with a team providing facility supervision (Recreation Center) during day, evening and weekend hours.
Club Sports Administration
- Provide overall vision and leadership for the Club Sports program that is aligned with the strategic goals of the University.
- Serve as Advisor to the individual sport clubs and the Club Sports Council including preparing agendas, conducting meetings, creating relationships with athletes and teams, and implementing new initiatives .
- Actively work to recruit students to participate in Club Sports including participation in Admissions and Orientation activities.
- Actively work to expand the Club Sports through the addition of sports teams.
- Provide program oversight and effective management of the Club Sports Program and Sport-based VSO’s by ensuring policies are meticulously followed, including regularly updating checklists and providing annual athlete orientations to ensure compliance.
- Assist the Marketing & Design Coordinator with branding and ongoing social media and web presence for club sports.
- Develop assessment program including incorporating learning outcomes, tracking participation, compiling statistical data and preparing information for annual report.
- Ensure enforcement of program and University policies, procedures and guidelines for practices, competitions, events, athletes, coaches and others by regularly reviewing compliance and providing follow-up.
- Serve as the liaison between each club and its related league. Ensure compliance with league rules and bylaws including submission of all required informational paperwork and attending meetings.
- Maintain overall game and practice schedules for each team and assist with facility needs for each club.
- Work collaboratively with coaches in assisting and guiding club sports participants in understanding and following program goals, expectations, processes, and procedures
- Plan and coordinate trainings, teambuilding and officer development experiences specifically designed for Club Sports athletes and coaches.
- Work collaboratively to award the Dominic Tomasi Scholarship and the Gruno Scholarship to club sports athletes.
- Assist the Associate Director in working with Facilities and Operation for preparation and maintenance of athletic venues. .
- Maintain an organized space for equipment and uniforms, implement system to assigned equipment and uniforms and maintain accurate inventories.
- Assist the Associate Director in ensuring risk management compliance, and pre and post-game equipment transport, set-up and takedown.
- Share attendance at games and practices with the Assistant Director for Training & Facility Management.
Club Sports Team Development
- Coordinator the recruitment, hiring, training and retention of coaches.
- Communicate with the Assistant Director for Training & Facilities Management regarding athletic trainer hiring and scheduling, officials scheduling and team travel arrangements.
- Assist the Assistant Director for Training & Facility Management in assistance with pre-, post- and in-season physical conditioning and share attendance at games and practices.
- Assist coaches with athlete recruitment opportunities.
Club Sports Financial Management
- Assist with maintaining accurate financial records and forecasts for all sports clubs (agency accounts) and serve as liaison with teams and/or coaches in budget development and management.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate accounting intern (temp student).
- Assist the Business Information Manager with processing all payments using POs, non-PO vouchers, JEs, PeoplePay, credit card as appropriate and track to ensure receipt and timely payment of coaches, referees, athletic trainers, buses, equipment, uniforms, etc.
- Process and reconcile cash advances and assist the Customer Service Specialist with P-Card reconciliation.
- Assist the Business Information Manager and the Customer Service Specialist with ensuring proper cash handling procedures are in place and followed at the Rec Center and Crystal Fieldhouse.
- Assist the Director with managing sponsorship program including collecting/processing payment and procuring banners/ads/graphics as applicable.
- Has Clery Security Authority reporter responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Attend trainings as appropriate to enhance professional development.
- Maintain current CPR/AED and First Aid Certifications
Master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Sports Management or related field;.
4-5 years of relevant experience; experience with club sports or intercollegiate athletics preferred.
One-three years of supervision experience required.
Demonstrated leadership through ability to be self-directed, build positive relationships, solve problems, manage and respect differences, prioritize and motivate others to achieve individual and unit goals through teamwork.
Proven excellent time management and organizational skills and ability to be flexible and adapt to change that positively impacts the unit.
Demonstrated excellent communication skills resulting in communications that are clearly understood by others required.
Demonstrated desire for self-development and growth in professional and personal areas required.
First Aid, CPR, certification required.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.