How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan is seeking a HVAC Supervisor for Hospital Maintenance. The successful candidate will have direct supervision over and manage the work of union maintenance personnel in the completion of hospital HVAC preventative and corrective maintenance.
Hospital Maintenance is responsible for the 24/7 operation and maintenance of the hospital and out-building infrastructure which includes but is not limited to the following systems: medical gases, HVAC, electrical power, process, domestic, and RO water, pneumatic tube, life safety (doors, fire alarm, fire suppression, power), plumbing, electronic and pneumatic building controls, and interior and exterior architectural finishes.
• Estimate job requirements, including staffing, equipment and supplies.
• Monitor work activity levels and maximize staffing to work required.
• Train employees in new or revised work methods and procedures.
• Participate in the resolution of employee complaints and grievances.
• Participate and contribute to various operational meetings and committees.
• Inspect equipment and facilities to assure proper use and maintenance.
• Interview and recommend the employment of applicants for union maintenance personnel.
• Ensure staff meets current licensing requirements and maintain records or licensure.
• Manage outside contractors, vendors and trades for in house customer needs.
• Ensure accountability of department work records and staff utilized for work performed.
• Coordinate the flow of work and services, managing the timely completion of preventative and corrective maintenance to meet monthly and annual key performance indicators (KPIs).
• Assist in the resolution of inter-departmental operating problems.
• Maintain and enforce safety standards to assure compliance with University, State and Federal codes and applicable regulations.
• Respond to infrastructure emergencies and determine corrective actions and/or resources to coordinate in order to facilitate resolution.
• Administer labor force supervised to work processes, material acquisition, and installation and when necessary, discipline in accordance with University disciplinary guidelines.
• Evaluate staff skill levels, establish, communicate and obtain industry leading standards of work performance.
• Cooperate with department Training Coordinator and others to deliver training necessary to permit staff to meet/exceed set standards.
• Plan and recommend objectives or programs concerning departmental operating standards.
• Participate in the ongoing FM Operations goals and visioning processes for continuous improvement.
• Respond to inquiries and complaints from customers, staff, and peer patient services departments.
• Initiate and accurately prepare and submit timely forms and records, including payroll, inventory records and material requisitions.
• Specify, order, and manage shop supplies and equipment within governing procurement policies and regulations and with a focus to lean practices/efficiencies.
• Assure self and staff compliance to department & University policies regarding key controls, vehicles, uniforms, attendance, documentation, corporate compliance, integrity, patient privacy and overall safety.
• Maintenance, Engineering, Architecture, Construction, or Management career background.
• 2-5 years HVAC and supervisory career background.
• Graduation from high school or equivalent.
• Strong working knowledge and background in HVAC & Mechanical systems inclusive of chillers, cooling towers, refrigeration units, process water & pumps, air handlers, building automation, humidification systems, boilers, exhaust fans, and fan coil units.
• Excellent leadership, oral and written communication skills.
• Competence with personal computers and software including, but not limited to MS Word, Outlook, and Excel.
• The ability to quickly gain competence with new and complex concepts, software, and business/managerial techniques.
• The ability to function effectively in a high pressure environment; and knowledge of the materials, equipment and techniques used in maintenance and repair.
• Computer maintenance management system/work order experience at a managerial level capable of extracting/generating reports and presentation of data/analysis.
• Candidate must have the ability to demonstrate their knowledge of Regulatory Compliance requirements within a Healthcare Environment (Joint Commission experience).
• Post high school completion of accredited journeymen trades program or college degree.
Licensure & Certification
As applicable to trades field or professional degree.
As an exempt position, flexible hours are as required, but typically are Monday through Friday from 7am to 3:30pm. Incumbent must be available for consultation or call-in to address emergency situations arising during non-scheduled hours.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
This position will have a minimum salary of $82,000.00/year at the Intermediate level and may be filled at a higher senior level up to a salary of $98,000/year based on experience and qualifications.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.