How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Provide Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Engineering services in support of planning, design, operation, maintenance, and optimization of complex facilities and utilities systems. This posting is to fill a Medical School, Facilities and Operations (F&O), O & M Operations Engineer position which will serve multiple buildings within the U-M campus. This position is considered vitally important to the continued successful operation of all facilities and site utility distribution systems and is a key member of the overall F&O and Medical School Facilities project management and operations team. This position is part of the Operations and Maintenance Engineering Group and reports to Architecture, Engineering and Construction - Architecture & Engineering group.
Ensure all project activities are aligned with the overall goals of Facilities and Operations and with the Medical School Facilities and apply senior-level project management and engineering support to various maintenance and skilled trades groups for mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and to operations units for utilities distribution. The Operations Engineer will apply senior-level project management and technical expertise in the following areas:
- Maintenance Support including Work Orders and Small Projects
- Apply senior-level project management expertise to direct and oversee work orders and small projects to successful completion, including scope, schedule and budget monitoring and tracking.
- Recommend solutions and provide supporting analysis (i.e. water heater replacements, pump replacements, coil replacements, etc.).
- Aid and support maintenance staff with implementation and execution of projects. Including system improvements and capital renewal, by providing load calculations, estimates, plans and specifications.
- Provide specifications and/or design criteria for replacement components and work performed or equipment installed in specialty and/or regulated spaces.
- Monitor and guide air-balancing within existing spaces to ensure compliance with design criteria.
- Utilize various analytic and quantitative methods to evaluate operation of existing and new systems and make recommendations as necessary.
- Utilize the building automation and instrumentation systems to gather and analyze operating data in order to evaluate and recommend changes or improvements to operating systems.
- Large and small project support:
- Apply senior-level project management and subject matter expertise, developing solutions and options, in conjunction with, or leading, design engineers or consultants for building systems/infrastructure and utilities.
- Provide critical operation and maintenance focused reviews of project design and construction documents provided by design engineers, consultants or other university units, and participate on design teams.
- Advise design engineers, designers and consultants on methods and materials to be used on repair, renovations or capital projects.
- Document support in the form of sketches, limited drawing preparation, as-built corrections, O&M manual reviews, furnishing/locating drawings from the existing data base.
- Apply project management and engineering expertise to prepare studies and designs in conjunction with design engineers, consultants, or other team members and support staff.
- Assist department manager with functional supervision, workload management, guiding and training of less experienced staff.
- Participate in Facility Condition Assessment (FCA) and deferred maintenance data review, planning, budgeting, and forecasting with recommendations for alterations and corrections to facilities and utilities systems on the basis of energy and maintenance efficiency and condition and operational life cycle economy. Primary focus includes Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) systems, with particular emphasis on HVAC, controls, and laboratory systems.
- Provide site utility master planning support, providing subject matter expertise and study reviews for the North Campus Research Complex (NCRC) Power Plant development of needs and main medical campus.
- Provide NCRC Power Plant support (as a resource to the Power Plant manager).
- Consult on major repair/replacement decisions.
- Provide options and analysis to support decision making.
- Participate and perform or lead systems commissioning and/or re-commissioning. Supervise field-testing where required and make evaluations and recommendations based on the results.
- Participate with other University engineers in developing standards and guidelines for design and construction. Evaluate products and new technology for applicability and use in MEP systems.
- Participate in Preventative Maintenance (PM)/Demand Maintenance (DM).
- Advise on appropriate PM schedule for new or existing equipment.
- Provide QA/QC.
- Troubleshooting and analysis.
- Participate in collaborative process for improving, implementing and maintaining a comprehensive Reliability Centered Maintenance program.
- Support and participate in safety programs.
- Participate in Energy Management Improvements.
- Participate as a member of the F&O and Medical School Facilities energy management team.
- Generate ideas, identify projects, and provide supporting analysis.
- Assist energy managers as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical or related engineering field.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Michigan, or the ability to obtain a State of Michigan registration within 6 months.
- Demonstrated 10 or more years of progressively responsible and expanding experience in project management, design, construction, installation, commissioning, and operations and maintenance of building facilities and utilities distribution systems.
- Expert level experience and knowledge in the design and operation of HVAC systems, research or post-secondary teaching laboratories, and vivaria.
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills used to interact with a diverse range of customers and to deliver exemplary customer service.
- Demonstrated creative problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with attention to detail, and strong organizational skills.
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) used for tracking work orders, serialized inventory, extracting/generating reports, and presenting data/analysis.
- Competence with personal computers and software including, but not limited to: MS Word, Excel, Project, Outlook, Gmail, AutoCAD, equipment sizing and selection, load programs, and other engineering programs typically used in this industry.
- Considerable knowledge of building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fire, and energy codes, ASHRAE Standard 90.1, and other applicable regulations.
- Expertise in building automation and instrumentation systems used to control facilities and utilities distribution systems, including program knowledge.
- Experience in developing HVAC system control drawings and writing sequences of operation.
- Experience in planning, operation, evaluation and distribution of large chilled water and medium pressure steam systems.
- Experience in planning and organizing work, and directing work of others as required or assigned (such as drafters, design engineers, skilled trades, consultants and contractors).
- Experience with co-generation turbines and back-up generator systems.
- Building electrical systems and sizing of the system components.
This position may be under filled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
*****This is a three (3) year term-limited benefit eligible position with potential for renewal.*****
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.