How to Apply
As part of the hiring process, you will be asked to create a sample of social media collateral and a writing sample of a web article (400 words or more). Further instructions will be sent after your application is received. Candidates will also be required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions through a third party vendor (no cost to applicant).
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation and drug screen.
Under the direction of the Strategic Communications Manager and UMSocial Director, the DPSS Content specialist assists in executing an effective strategic communications plan with the aim of communicating with a wide and diverse University of Michigan community. The primary focus is to create content for the DPSS website (currently undergoing redesign) and U-M social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.). The content specialist also may assist in creating other marketing collateral, reports, presentations and other assignments as necessary. This position has the specific responsibility for creating, editing and in some cases publishing written & visual content online, which enhances how we serve our community. Our goal is inform, educate and engage with our community on safety and security topics by providing accurate and timely information.
- Design, curate and/or manage safety and security content for DPSS and U-M’s online websites and social media accounts
- Craft grammatically correct, well-worded and engaging web articles, social media posts and occasionally other marketing collateral according to DPSS & U-M guidelines and creative strategy
- Researche and gather information on safety and security topics to improve understanding and ensure accuracy of written content
- Meet with DPSS subject matter experts, key stakeholders and community partners to create and revise content
- Occasionally attend and take photographs and/or videos at special events
- Create and maintain editorial calendars
- Facilitates approval process of written content
- Review content for errors before seeking approval, printing or publishing
- Provide insight into web and social media opportunities based on strategy and historical results
- Report monthly KPIs & analytics for DPSS and UMSocial leadership
- Author written best practices, summaries, and evaluations of emerging technologies and trends
- Serve as a liaison to intern staff, back up to the DPSS Strategic Communications Specialist and assist the Director of Social Media as needed
- Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, political science or related field required
- Minimum of at least three years’ experience in a progressively responsible writer, editor, digital marketing, or related position, preferably in higher education and/or other safety and security setting
- Excellent communication skills, proficient in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary
- Demonstrated success in communicating and creating for websites and social media
- Capacity for brainstorming and contributing to creative problem-solving among colleagues representing a variety of disciplines, including subject matter experts, editors, videographers/photographers, graphic designers and web developers
- Ability to give and receive feedback, while keeping an open-mind
- Success at setting and managing priorities (for self and for projects), handling multiple assignments and deadlines, while operating in a flexible, professional manner
- Experience with Google Apps for work and web content management systems required
- Detail oriented, but able to see the bigger picture
- Occasionally available outside normal business hours
- Ability to complete projects by applicable deadlines
- An advanced degree or comparable certification, training or educational experience in communications, english, creative writing, journalism, marketing or other related field is preferred
- Passion for social communications, innovation, branding and promotions
- Experience working with law enforcement and/or security personnel as well as photographers, printers, writers and marketing specialist is also preferred
- Well versed in safety and security issues
- Accustomed to the strategic use of social platforms for awareness, education, reputation management and customer service
- Knowledgeable about and able to report on current trends and best practices in social media, digital content, and emerging technologies
- Capable of creating content for a variety of platforms, including, but not limited to: website, social media, leadership presentations, reports, newsletters and educational print materials
- Familiarity with the University of Michigan brand and working knowledge of university policies and procedures
This position serves a dual functionality, reporting to the DPSS Strategic Communications Specialist and residing under the guidance of U-M central social unit (UMSocial) located within the Office of the Vice President for Communications.
The University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security supports the mission of the University as a partner serving to ensure a safe and secure environment while improving the quality of life for all those living, learning, working, healing and visiting within our community.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.